Vertical T&G above backsplash.

Old 05-25-16, 04:54 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vertical T&G above backsplash.

I have 3/4 vertical painted pine tongue and grove throughout cabin. Wall from living room runs directly into kitchen wall with cabinets. I was planning to install 3/4 plywood behind cabinets and backsplash, and transition /continue the pine above cabinets to ceiling and on either side of window above sink where we have no upper cabinets. I am going to screw the plywood to studs to provide a good surface to mount cabinets and backsplash on. My question is (a) should I use plywood behind cabinets and (b) how to transition from backsplash to pine above cabinets and above backsplash on either side of sink with no upper cabinets. Can I do a horizontal board and butt the pine vertical T&G above it or will gaps become evident. Would I need trim over the butt joint.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-16, 04:57 PM
J
Received 77 Votes on 72 Posts
Got a picture?
Why the plywood if you already have 3/4" T X G?

Old 05-25-16, 04:59 PM
D
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  29.8 KB

Vertical pine T&G runs up to pantry, above cabinets, and above backsplash on with side of sink. I plan to make backsplash a few inches higher than bottom of corner cabinet and finish at end of counter, then transition back to vertical pine.

Old 05-25-16, 05:23 PM
D
Why the plywood. I thought that it would provide a strong surface for mounting the cabinets, i.e. Wouldn't have to hit stud. The T&G is only attached with 2 inch finishing nails. I didn't think that tongue and grove plywood would be the best for tile backsplash base. How can you tile over T&G with v profile and bead at tongue. I haven't put up the plywood so am open to suggestions. Would be easier, of course, to do all the T&G then attach cabinets.

Old 05-25-16, 06:15 PM
I wouldn't recommend plywood or any wood behind the cabinets. The cabinets are screwed into the studs, with the cabinet backs directly against the drywall.

I would cover the wall with boards after installing the cabinets and before installing the crown molding and any side scribe molding.

As far as how to apply the boards above the tile splash, there are guys here better at tile.
I would say the tile needs to be built-out on the sink wall about 1". You can build out the tile with old school mortar bed or use 1/2" underlayment plus the thickness of the tile and mortar.
The underlayment would be concrete board or other approved material.

You're building out the tile on the sink wall so that the tile is thicker than the boards applied above it.
The 1" thick splash won't effect installing the sink or faucet, but verify that. I routinely work after 3cm granite installs and the splash is 1-3/16" thick.

Old 05-25-16, 07:26 PM
D
There is no drywall. Just studs with horizontal blockers so would need a backer behind cabinets.

Old 05-27-16, 06:20 AM
T
If you have bare studs, I would put up 1/2 plywood to have something to cover the wall and nail the T&G too. But the cabinets would still be screwed into the studs. I'm not sure, but I would think that would be ok backer for the backsplash. As far as the tile/T&G transition maybe you can put a thick enough bull nose cap on your backsplash for the T&G to butt up to and then clear silicon caulk.