Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page >

Wood molding with white crown help and suggestions?

Old 03-14-17, 09:00 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 4 Upvotes on 3 Posts

I am in the process of getting my family's home ready to sell. The house had woold baseboards and trim everywhere. Crown molding was added but its white. What would be your suggestions on what I can do with this mess?

Old 03-14-17, 09:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
And the problem is..... ???

If you want help, either be more specific or include some pictures.

Old 03-15-17, 02:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
If you are talking about the wood tone trim versus the white crown, it is a non issue. It is separated from the other molding. Unless your pictures really show a mess, I would leave it alone.

Old 03-15-17, 05:25 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I read out of it all the trim in the house is stained wood except the crown.
I think the easiest way to fix it would be to install new finished crown.

Old 03-15-17, 06:07 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
If thats the case, then I agree with Larry, that its not a problem. Ask any designer and they will tell you that anymore, absolutely everything does not need to match. Painted crown is less striking and in some cases thats a good thing.

Old 03-15-17, 06:16 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I painted for one builder that when the job called for stained woodwork, he still used painted masonite doors. While I initially thought it odd, it grows on you after awhile. There really isn't any right/wrong when it comes to decorating. It's more about what appeals to you or a prospective buyer. You could paint the crown to match the walls if you are worried about it sticking out. Probably the best thing to do would be to ask the realtor if they think it might be an issue.

Old 03-15-17, 07:32 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
White crown would help define the ceiling with some detail. The ceiling is most likely also white so the blend should be seamless. When we were thinking of selling our house, the realtor (I have a long relationship with them) suggested I paint all my stained molding and doors white? I refused as I see stained molding as a plus and I also charge extra to install it. There is no room for error that caulking will fix. Ended up not selling so I never really had to follow up on it.

Old 03-15-17, 08:16 PM
J
I'll post a photo next time I goto the house. Everything is stained except the crown which is white. The ceiling is white with popcorn (1990's design). They decided not to remove the popcorn before installing the crown so places have gaps and I don't know what I'll do there.

Old 03-16-17, 02:29 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I assume the popcorn was removed after the crown was installed ?? Caulking will normally take care of any cracks [no matter what type if any texture is on the ceiling]

Old 03-17-17, 01:02 PM
J
The popcorn is still there. I'm afraid of removing it and then having to do the entire house!!!!

Old 03-17-17, 01:30 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
IMO the popcorn would be more of an issue than the white crown with stained woodwork. Not lately but I've caulked miles of crown molding to popcorn ceilings.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: