Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page >

Crown molding on Slanting wall (crazy corner)

Old 09-25-19, 03:23 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

Hi,

I am trying to figure out how to install crown molding in my living room but I am stumped on a crazy corner. I am attaching a photo of the corner. Can anyone please help me figure out what angles to cut or what I could do to get understand the miter cuts for this corner.

Spring angle for my selected crown is 52/38.
https://*******/xhfrsDn

Old 09-25-19, 04:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Try following these directions for attaching pictures. Tiny pic and a couple other sites aren't allowed links here.

How to insert pictures.

Old 09-25-19, 04:19 PM
P
Thanks for the response. Are you able to see the below image?
https://m.imgur.com/gallery/LHmwBHI

I will also try to follow your instructions link.

Old 09-25-19, 04:21 PM
Group Moderator
Nope, the link is broken.

Old 09-25-19, 04:49 PM
P
Corner Image link

Hoping this link works so I can get some inputs. Thanks.

Old 09-25-19, 05:22 PM
Group Moderator
Yeah that photo link works.

There are no fancy angles needed to do that. If your corners are all square, everything will still be 45 degree miters, assuming you are cutting the crown "upside down and backwards".

IMO, it's a bad idea to try to crown around that bevel piece by piece "as is". What i'd suggest is that you draw a couple pencil lines on the wall and ceiling.

One, where the bottom of the crown will be on the walls on either side of the bevelled wall. (With the crown sitting at correct spring angle).

Two, where the top of the crown will be on the ceiling on either side.

Make long lines on the ceiling that are parallel with each of those side walls.

Then using a framing square, make a perpendicular reference line on the ceiling that is maybe 1" away from the bevelled wall. This line will connect those 2 parallel lines on the ceiling. (This line is going to represent roughly where the front of all 3 pieces of crown will be as you make the corner.) So take a small scrap of crown and hold it along that short perpendicular line... (At the correct spring angle, not flat on the beveled wall because it's a 45.) then slide it toward the beveled wall. As you slide it while holding it at the correct spring angle, the top edge will contact the wall.... (as it does, adjust it- if needed- so that it is perfectly parallel to your perpendicular reference line you made, then draw a new pencil line in front of it because that's where it should go).... while the bottom edge will have a gap. It has a gap because it's sitting at a 52 degree angle, while the wall is a 45. So you basically need a very small 7 degree wedge or shim, behind the bottom edge of that one piece of crown.

That's it. If you prefer, just shim that small gap on bottom, and caulk it. It will paint up and no one will be the wiser. Once you know your lengths (based on those pencil lines), I would cut all those pieces at perfect 45s (assuming square corners) and glue them up on the floor or bench and pin those pieces together. Then once they are assembled, then put it up as one piece.

Read this as many times as it takes to make sense, or print it out and follow it step by step. If you do, it will be as good as it gets.

Old 09-25-19, 06:19 PM
P
Thank you so much! I will definitely read it multiple times.

XSleeper voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: