Beadboard paneling on masonry ceiling

Old 12-09-19, 11:24 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Beadboard paneling on masonry ceiling

Hi, I want to panel my ceiling with 4x8 beadboard paneling and need help with adhesive. The house was built in the 50s and is made of cinder block covered with thin layer of what I call concrete, does not seem like plaster, and there is wire mesh at the joints etc.
I can shoot finish nails through the ceiling as it is not backed by cinder blocks so will nail as much as I can but I would like to use glue as well. i will add 1x6 as decorative covering for joints.
Can I use old school contact cement to hold the panel while I nail it?
should I use something other than contact cement for the initial hold?
Should I use braces to hold it up while glue sets?
I am worried about the paneling eventually sagging or detaching in the future.
​​​​​

Old 12-09-19, 11:51 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
No, not contact adhesive. You would be better off applying a paneling adhesive to the ceiling with a notch trowel, and keep your nails to a minimum. You can buy it by the gallon. Just follow the directions on the label. Keep in mind this pretty much ruins your smooth ceiling for anyone in the future. You may have to brace it as needed, yes.

Old 12-09-19, 01:24 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I think I'd nail/screw strapping to the ceiling and then nail or staple the paneling to it.

Old 12-09-19, 07:25 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Stapling makes better sense but also panel glue sounds pretty good, all joints will be covered with decorative 1x6 trim. The existing light sandy texture collects dust and there is a visible crack running the entire length if the house so either spray texture or expensive t&g makes most sense but paneling can be made to look good as long as I do it right, I also thoughy about cutting the sheets into 4x4 sqares

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: