Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page >

What's your go to caulk for baseboard/casing??

Old 11-08-23, 12:13 AM
D
Received 2 Upvotes on 1 Post

hi all!

not sure if this product exists but i'm currently using DAP Dynaflex 230 and DAP Alex Plus for my baseboard and door casing. it goes on well enough and cleans really easily. my only gripe is that when it dries it turns off white to yelllowish.

in the kitchen and bathrooms i've been using GE Advanced Silicone 2 Kitchen and Bath and i really like how it stays white. the only problem is that it's not paintable in case i want to repaint the baseboard or walls in the future.

so i guess my question is: is there a baseboard/casing caulk that stays white after drying and is paintable.

thanks!

Top Answer

11-08-23, 02:55 AM
marksr
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 824 Upvotes on 722 Posts
I'm partial to White Lightning as a general all purpose caulk. Latex caulk should always be painted. That eliminates any discoloring from both aging and collecting dirt.

Old 11-08-23, 02:29 AM
J
Received 49 Upvotes on 45 Posts
Take a look at DAP Amp hybrid caulk. It's solvent-based so it holds up very well, and it's paintable.
Like most solvent caulks, it's difficult to tool, but if you're good with a caulk gun it works great.
OSI caulk is similar and comes in the widest range of colors.

Old 11-08-23, 02:55 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm partial to White Lightning as a general all purpose caulk. Latex caulk should always be painted. That eliminates any discoloring from both aging and collecting dirt.

sdodder, XSleeper voted this post useful.
Old 11-08-23, 06:38 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,900 Upvotes on 1,706 Posts
Painters caulk for interior trim is pretty much all the same. There's a reason all interior painters caulk is latex. You don't use much and it's easy to tool with a wet finger or damp rag. You always caulk before you paint when using any painters caulk. And painters caulk won't destroy the trim if you ever need to remove/clean up/reuse any trim.

Caulk that does not accept paint, like your silicone, is best done after painting is complete. Like around a countertop or backsplash. Any whoever wants to paint it next will wish you used a painters caulk if you need to cut up next to it.

Old 11-15-23, 10:42 AM
D
Received 2 Upvotes on 1 Post
hey all,

thanks everyone for their advice. wanted to give an update. i ended up trying the White Lightening 3006 Advanced Formula (not the quick dry version). so far i like it.

pros:
-goes on pretty well, slightly thicker than the DAP
-paints easily
-cleans well with water
-dries pretty white actually
-not expensive

cons:
-not sure yet since not enough time to find it if it yellows in places where it's not painted

Old 11-15-23, 10:50 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
While I use a lot of White Lightning I almost always paint over it so I can't say if it will yellow or not. I've had too many failures with Alex Plus for me to consider using it again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: