Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.1td wont start

Old 03-06-16, 05:02 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.1td wont start

Hi there...
I have a 2001 3.1td jeep Cherokee that will not start.
The engine cranks over but will not fire..I have error code P0463 showing on the instrument cluster which relates to a short circuit between the PCM and the Fuel Sending Unit..Would that short circuit stop the injector pump from working as I have undone no1 injector and no diesel is being pumped out the open pipe?
Would it be that the PCM needs replacing and is it a straight swop over or does it need to be flashed to the jeep?
Any help would be really gratefull...

moderator note: Member from the UK.

Last edited by PJmax; 03-06-16 at 03:28 PM. Reason: added location
Old 03-06-16, 07:07 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! this is a quote from OBD CODES as to the possibilities of your failure. Hope it helps.

"Potential causes of a P0463 code include: The signal circuit to the fuel sender is open or shorted to B+ (Battery voltage) The ground circuit is open, or ground path may have high resistance due to rust or missing ground strap on fuel tank Damage to the fuel tank could cause problem in fuel level circuit There's an open in the fuel lever sensor's resistor to ground Possibly faulty instrument cluster Less likely is the possibility that the PCM, BCM, or Fuel pump computer module has failed"

Read more at: http://www.obd-codes.com/p0463
Copyright OBD-Codes.com

Old 03-06-16, 09:28 AM
M
Hi Chandler...
Would this cause the injector pump to not send diesel up the injector pipes to the engine?

Old 03-06-16, 11:40 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,316 Votes on 1,216 Posts
Since you are getting a code.... it's not likely a PCM problem.

When did you get the code.... previously when you were driving or did it just appear upon starting ?
You could be out of fuel.

In most vehicles you can hear the fuel pump running. Is yours ?
If you don't know or can't hear it.... have someone near the tank when the key is turned on. It should run for around 10 seconds and then shut off.

Old 03-06-16, 02:28 PM
M
It started to cut out on me last week and was a pig to restart...It was just like the diesel was returning back to the tank...The manual prime on the lift pump is working perfect and there is half a tank of diesel in the jeep...The stalling while driving as I said started last week and has got slowly worse until now it just will not start at all...Has my model jeep got another fuel pump in the tank itself as I only thought it had the manual prime/lift pump because its a diesel?

Old 03-06-16, 03:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,316 Votes on 1,216 Posts
I didn't realize this was a vehicle in the UK. I added your location to your first post.

No.... in researching further.... there is no in-tank fuel pump. I'm still researching the problem.

Old 03-07-16, 12:53 PM
M
Could it possibly be the fuel shut off solenoid on the injector pump sticking?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: