Subaru Forester - water leak on driver's side

Old 07-14-16, 08:29 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Subaru Forester - water leak on driver's side

I am finding the carpet on my drivers side floor board carpet is wet, moreso on the left hand side of the floorboard area. I have weathertec floor mats and the top of the mat dry. Nothing dripping down on the driver seat. Passenger side is dry. Any ideas on the source?

Old 07-14-16, 09:24 PM
J
Received 88 Votes on 81 Posts
Windshield leak is my first thought.
The heater core is most often of the passengers side.

Old 07-14-16, 11:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,420 Votes on 1,313 Posts
Year of the vehicle is pretty important.

I agree on the windshield leak.

Usually you'd smell antifreeze if the heater core was leaking.
Condensate drain line plugged is a very common problem but is usually on the passenger side.

If you have a sunroof.... the drain lines run down the windshield pillars and they can leak.

Old 07-15-16, 05:22 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 384 Votes on 340 Posts
Years ago my wife had a 99 merc that continually had water leaks. The dealer resealed the windshield, some sort of panel that was part of each door and the sun roof. The said part was each leak was fixed at a separate time and when they started to leak again [after warranty ran out] we traded the car.

When it's dry have someone flood the exterior with a garden hose while you look for the moisture inside. Another possibility would be a leak underneath where the tire can pick up rain and direct it at the floor board.

Old 07-16-16, 07:57 AM
Received 14 Votes on 11 Posts
Replace or reseal windshield unless you have heater core/AC exchange unit on the driver side, which is unheard of because of all the pedals there. Simply no room to put it in.
Normally, those leaks run along pillar A which is the first pillar, and drip down on the interior side. You need to remove all panels and carpeting to get to the bare metal to see it. You may use some sort of UV contrast dye, add it to a sprayer and hose that side outside. Then shine UV light inside to track the water streaks.
Leak can be on the pillar side or along upper windhsield edge anywhere as it always follows down the windshield curvature towards pillars A and then into your interior.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: