Supplement insurance estimate for auto repair

Old 08-10-16, 08:09 PM
H
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Supplement insurance estimate for auto repair

I was rear ended and the other guys insurance wrote me a check based on what they chose fit, they told me any extra damage they did not see they will need a Supplement Estimate. Now I know I could just go get it fixed and have the repair shop bill the insurance company but I want to do the work myself and save on the labor so I can buy new tires. If I have the repair shop write up an estimate will the insurance company send the shop a check or me? No im not trying to commit insurance fraud I just want to do the work myself and use the money for labor on tires.

Old 08-10-16, 08:34 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
In the eyes of the insurance company you may be attempting fraud.

Insurance is supposed to "make you whole" after a claim payment. It doesn't matter if YOU do the work for free or the insurance company pays a shop to do the work, either way you are "whole" (have a repaired car) again. Using the proceeds from an insurance settlement to pay for work not associated with the reason behind the settlement is often considered fraud.

If I were you I would just have the car repaired with the insurance company paying the cost.

Old 08-10-16, 08:43 PM
H
id like to think my time is worth money, money I earn to then buy what I want and that being tires for said vehicle.

same question still, does the insurance make check out to me or the shop who wrote the estimate?

Old 08-10-16, 09:07 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Of course your time is worth money, to you. Unfortunately, the insurance company does NOT see it that way. Unless the tires were damaged in the accident the insurance company is going to refuse any deal that compensates your tires in any way.

Most likely any supplemental check sent by the insurance company would have both your name and the name of the shop doing the work on it and require endorsement from both parties to be cashed. The initial check was made out to you in case you decided to (a) do the work yourself, or (b) not have any repairs made at all.

It is unlikely that any legitimate shop would go along with your scheme as they are dependent upon the insurance companies for a large share of their work.

Old 08-10-16, 09:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
Most likely any supplemental check sent by the insurance company would have both your name and the name of the shop doing the work on it and require endorsement from both parties to be cashed. The initial check was made out to you in case you decided to (a) do the work yourself, or (b) not have any repairs made at all
Yes.... agreed. That's the way I've found it too.

Old 08-11-16, 03:05 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Several yrs ago my jeep got some hail damage. The adjuster came out and wrote it up for a half a dozen or so dents, the body shop found almost 3 times as many. It took awhile with most of the paperwork going thru the body shop to get the extra approved. I don't remember how the check was processed but I do remember they originally wanted to send me a check for the original amount but I rejected the offer until I had a firm estimate on the repairs. Once you accepted the check it becomes a LOT harder to renegotiate the amount!

Old 08-11-16, 05:36 AM
Received 24 Upvotes on 19 Posts
Ask the insurance company - they will tell you.

Old 08-11-16, 07:27 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
If you do the work yourself the insurance will compensate you for your parts AND labor. They may require you to take it to your local claims adjuster to verify the work was actually done.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: