Radiator fan not kicking on

Old 08-23-16, 10:48 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Radiator fan not kicking on

I have a 2010 Chrysler Town and Country and I noticed the fan has not been kicking on. It has not been overheating at all but the fan does not come on. I have checked the fuses and replaced one relay that is mounted to the frame. I jumped the fan from the battery and it works fine. Only other item I never replaced is the sensor I guess that runs across the radiator shroud and slides into the shroud plastic. Not sure if that is a sensor or what. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-16, 03:01 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
Not really a fix but I have put the fan on a toggle switch and just run it manually. Just need to remember to switch it on when the temp starts to rise. You could wire it into the ignition so it come on all the time when the engine is running.

Old 08-23-16, 11:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,175 Votes on 1,089 Posts
The radiator fan is controlled by the PCM thru the relay.

In other words.... the car's computer tells the relay to close and activate the fan. I'm pretty sure it uses the engines temperature sensor to know when to turn on. Usually the PCM also tells the relay to close when the A/C compressor is engaged.

Old 08-24-16, 10:04 AM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Yes, that is correct. However, if the relay and/or the temperature sensor is bad, the fan obviously won't turn on. I have the fan control board out of the vehicle and am going to test the relays. I'll also test the fan and the temperature sensor. If everything checks out, then I'll assume it's okay.

Old 08-24-16, 10:11 AM
Group Moderator
I'm confused..... do you have the same problem as the OP ?

As far as I know... there is not a separate temperature sensor for the fan.

Old 08-26-16, 08:37 AM
M
Yes. Same issue. Fan never comes on. No issues otherwise with overheating. I checked the fan and it's okay, relays are okay, so it's either the temp sensor or maybe it just doesn't like to come on when I'm staring at it . I didn't mean to imply there was a dedicated temp sensor for my fan. There's a temp sensor that is monitored by the ECU, which in turn controls the fan according to coolant temperature.

Old 08-26-16, 06:45 PM
M
Sorry fellas...turns out the fan does work after all. Both fans kick on at 212F and off at 190F. They are very quiet.

Old 08-26-16, 08:05 PM
M
They told me at auto zone to put the defrost on and check the fan. They said the computer tells the fan to kick on with the defrost on. I tried that also and doesn't come on. The only part I have not replaced is the resistor that goes across the radiator shroud and the temperature sensor. Funny thing about this, the van does not run hot at all and the guage stays in the middle like usual. My A/C started blowing hot air the same time I noticed the fan not working. Are these two dependent upon each other? Thanks again for your help

Old 08-26-16, 08:57 PM
Group Moderator
Yes... your A/C also causes the fan to turn on. Basically the same as in defrost. You'll probably get cold air as long as you're moving.

Can you post the full vehicle name ? 2010 Chrysler Town and Country plus any additional letters as well as engine size. I'll grab a wiring diagram.

Old 08-26-16, 09:34 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
chysler is very bad about how long the computer waits to turn on the fan. even with a/c. how long did you wait to see if it come on? i have seen some wait up to a minute after turnig a/c on. also with the fact you said the a/c is hot maybe your a/c charge is low which will also cause no fans, as low pressure means no need for fan.

Old 08-27-16, 05:53 AM
M
2010 Town and Country LX V6 3.3L is the make and model. Someone told me that I should be able to see the fan running when I open the hood and place the system on defrost. But nothing happens. My a/c went to hot all of a sudden and there are NO leaks and still holding pressure. I don't however see the clutch kicking on. Using a guage it is showing in the green.

Appreciate the diagram and any other advice out there. Can't afford taking it to a dealership.