Extra charges for supplying parts to a local shop!

Old 10-23-16, 08:05 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Extra charges for supplying parts to a local shop!

SO I had the codes revealed on our V70 thru a retired mechanic I know it showed a few, but mainly that my throttle body was stuck open. I did not have the time to work on it, I would of cleaned it, instead I brought to a local shop with a retired volvo mechanic . He stated he has had more trouble with cleaning TBs than replacements so I agreed to replace the TB. I found a bosch online for $324 and volvo wanted 525+. When the shop called me back they told me the had to charge over 100 to test codes thru volvo cloud. And to boot He would have to charge another $125 for profit that he lost on me supplying my own part. I am a little more upset on the fact that he claimed that since I was a first time customer, Which we were not we had them flush out our transmission fluid a few years earlier.
Just venting and most likely wont be going back there in the near future.!
Any helpful advise in debating this while i pay the bill would be grateful.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-16, 08:11 AM
Received 10 Votes on 7 Posts
Most shops charge "extra" when you bring your own parts.

If you can find a good mechanic who will work for only an "hourly rate" hang on to him !!

Old 10-23-16, 11:18 AM
V
When the Throttle Body gets dirty or the throttle plate sticks, the engine has difficulty idling at a consistent speed and begins to pulsate , moving between a surge and then almost dying; very annoying.

I recently cleaned the Throttle Body on my Volvo S60 (2nd time in 276,000 miles) which I believe is the same engine as yours; and this time, I even bought a new gasket ($4.35). . . . it got re-used the 1st time.

Took me all of 30 minutes and about 2 ounces of carburetor cleaner (even though it's fuel injected).

Somehow, I'd find the time to do it myself next time, and avoid all this aggravation. Takes less time to do it myself than to make an appointment . . . .let alone drive over to the mechanic and wait for him/her.

Last edited by Vermont; 10-23-16 at 01:57 PM.
Old 10-28-16, 07:10 PM
So even with the new TB the warning light came on 2 days later the dash with the same nomenclature " Reduced Engine Performance"!!
I also replaced MAS a few months ago.
I have yet to have the codes checked out will update in due time

Old 10-29-16, 05:10 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I agree with locating a local by-the-hour mechanic if possible. My diesel mechanic doesn't care if I provide parts. He even states the profit margin isn't worth the hassle of locating the part and having it shipped in and waiting on it. I take the truck to him with the parts in the bed. Turn around time is much quicker, too.

Old 10-29-16, 05:23 AM
V
I think biketrax will really benefit by obtaining his own OBD Code Reader (as has been discussed in other threads on this Forum) and monitoring what's really going on in this Volvo.

I think my Actron Code Reader has really saved me several thousand dollars in the past 10 years on my S60 . . . . as well as eliminating a lot panic due to the "unknown".

Otherwise you're flying blind and subject to being stampeded into unnecessary action from many sources.

Old 11-03-16, 05:14 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A lot of mechanics are counting on supplying the parts themselves as part of their income. They add a margin onto the price and this is part of their bread and butter.
If they are operating on tight margins you can expect them to be unhappy with the customers arriving with their own parts. You're simply taking away some of his profit margin.

Old 11-03-16, 06:51 AM
V
Originally Posted by Abrigo
". . . A lot of mechanics are counting on supplying the parts themselves as part of their income . . ."
Yes, and many parts supply houses expect that to be the case . . . . they even provide Invoices which present the List Price (your price) and the Net and Extended Net Amount (his price) to support this technique.

Originally Posted by Abrigo
". . . You're simply taking away some of his profit margin . . ."
No, I'm also taking responsibility for identifying the right Parts and shopping for them, and getting them shipped . . . . all of which saves his time and effort.

If I order the wrong part (which I once did with a obscure fuel filter) I still have to pay for my appointment and the hourly rate required to reveal my embarrassing mistake. I've saved myself several thousands of dollars by seeking out the best prices for the parts I need.

Unfortunately, my Mechanic would be incentivized to do just the reverse . . . . the higher the price for parts, the higher his mark-up. I prefer that savings on lower prices be in my pocket; but maybe that's just me.

And luckily, some Mechanics actually prefer someone else goof around searching for the right part at the right price.

Old 11-21-16, 07:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
The main problem with customer supplied parts is if part fails who pays to replace it. We always went with our supplied part it was on us but customer supplied part it was on them.

Old 11-21-16, 08:03 AM
R
Received 28 Votes on 24 Posts
What most people miss is there is a lot of overhead costs to keep the doors open with most shops, they are not there to save you tons of money they are there to make a living. Not to mention that you are not only paying them for what they do you are paying for what they know. If you want to save a buck buying parts cheaper then maybe you should learn how to do your own repairs and save even more! There are no free rides in this world.

Old 11-21-16, 08:49 AM
P
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
A lot of this is really a lesson in transparency. I give the shop credit for being honest about marking up the prices - not that I find it at all appealing. I would guess they have been burned by customer supplies parts and just don't want to play in that game. I certainly appreciate the issue of supplying my own parts and the liability of the shop if it fails and needs to be replaced.

For the parts that the shop supplies, wouldn't a reasonable solution be to drop the profit margin on the parts and charge me what they pay? Then the shop could charge a more realistic (profitable) rate on the service or labor side to cover their expenses and investment? My mechanic always tells me he doesn't make anything on tires so I should buy them anywhere I want. I know his parts prices are more like retail pricing so I never get a "sale" price. Since I show up when I need him and not when the parts are on sale, I expect to pay that non-discounted rate.

This begins to sound like the issue of medical providers charging "facility fees". That scenario is a little different because insurance carriers have negotiated the Usual and Customary Rates (UCR). Those rates leave no room for the medical providers to cover increases in rent, new equipment investment, ongoing education and all of the rest for which they are paying more than they did when the negotiated rates were approved. Now the providers are charging facility fees to help offset those uncovered expenses. While most of my doctor friends are still making a nice salary, they are working longer hours and spending less time with each patient. This is not a good solution to covering costs. Nor is charging me a separate fee to cover the rent.

Another comparison might be to the airline industry. People are used to paying a certain rate to fly from point A to point B. If that price goes up, the passengers are not interested in paying more and stop flying. So how do airlines cover expenses increases? They charge a fuel surcharge, a baggage fee and a snack fee. Do they ever drop those fees if their expenses go down - nope. This model doesn't work any better.

It is very appropriate for any service provider (medical, travel, repair) to make a profit. Be upfront about why you charge what you do and let me decide from there. Just don't pee on me and tell me its raining.

- Peter

Old 11-21-16, 10:09 AM
R
\Each job needs to bring in a margin of profit. Some from labor and some from parts. When you provide your own parts you cut into that profit margin. In other words you are saying "I dont care if your kids eat its all about me" If you want to use your own parts learn how to do the work.

Old 11-21-16, 12:07 PM
G
Fortunately not all shops feel the way retired wrench does.
You might pay a small surcharge or a bit more in labor but I've always found reputable shops that will work with you on parts.

Old 11-21-16, 12:48 PM
V
Originally Posted by retired wrench
". . . In other words you are saying "I dont care if your kids eat its all about me" If you want to use your own parts learn how to do the work . . ."
Now I'm feeling guilty for even signing up on a Do-It-YourSelf Forum; what's wrong with me ?

I hope I haven't starved too many little children !