How to apply RainX without streaks

Old 02-22-17, 07:20 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to apply RainX without streaks

Can you tell me how to apply RainX without leaving a windshield with smears. I have cleaned and cleaned the windshield and finally gotten rid of the smears from my first application, but I think I took off all of the RainX. I applied it as instructions. That is, wipe on with a clean cloth, let dry to a haze and then sprinkle with water and wipe off with a paper towel. When driving into the sun the next day, it was like looking through a cloud. any suggestions?

Old 02-22-17, 07:23 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
I've never had any issues with RainX but I've never sprinkled it with water and wiped off again .... guess I never read the instructions

Old 02-22-17, 07:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
I never sprinkle it with water either. Spray it on and let dry wipe off but I usually put 2 coats on. I polish it pretty good the last time.

Old 02-22-17, 09:03 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
My bottles just have the pee spout. Pour it on at the top, catch before it hits the bottom, smear it all around, clean cloth to buff out. Has some minor streaks/fogging but goes away with windshield wash.

Old 02-22-17, 10:01 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
I squirt the liquid on a small rag and buff it on like waxing the windshield. Then I use dampened or dry cotton clothes and go over it 3 or 4 times with vigorous buffing. A damp rag might be easier to move so the water they mention might be mainly used as a lubricant to make buffing easier.

Old 02-22-17, 03:40 PM
Received 61 Upvotes on 52 Posts
I stopped doing any of this long ago and I do RainX every few weeks. But then again, it rains non stop here.
I simply spray it on, dry or wet. Clean or dirty.
Then drive into rain. Droplets run up and off without any smudges. Or, I'll run blades on windshield 2-3 times and that's it.
Thing I found about RX though, after years of using it, is that it somehow cause INTERNAL window fogging. No idea how it works...
Also, make sure windshield is actually CLEAN from the inside.

Old 02-22-17, 04:39 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
it somehow cause INTERNAL window fogging
says I need to have 25 characters, why?

explain please

Old 02-22-17, 05:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
I never noticed the internal fogging. Maybe as you're getting older you're breathing harder.

I wash my windshield with one paper towel and a spritz of Comet.
I rinse it good and let it drip dry.
I just squirt the Rx on the windshield and smear it around with a clean rag.
I wait five or so minutes until it drys to a haze and I apply it again.
After another five minutes I buff using old cotton briefs. Keep turning them over.

I've been doing that for almost 20 years since around the time that Quaker State bought the company. I will say one thing.... it doesn't hold up like it used to.

Old 02-22-17, 07:55 PM
Received 5 Upvotes on 4 Posts
i used to just mix it with a gallon of washer fluid and let the car do the work. now it comes in premixed jugs. no hassle on my part.

Old 02-23-17, 01:34 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
I live about 40-50 miles north of ukrbyk, still in the land of liquid sunshine and I found that using RainX was more hassle than not using it at all. It needs to be renewed on a fairly regular basis (every few weeks) or it is worse than not having it all. At least this is true for me with the majority of the rain being more of a drizzle than a gully-washer.

Just my opinion.

Old 02-23-17, 01:56 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I've never noticed any detrimental affects from RainX wearing off, works great when first applied and gradually quits working. I put it on my wife's windshield when she hollers, mine occasionally although back when my 51 F1 was tagged/insured I applied it about once a month or so ..... vacuum wipers

Old 02-23-17, 02:21 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Well, Mark, it might be the quality/quantity of rain. As I mentioned, we get mostly drizzle here, more of a heavy mist than actual measurable rain. It can "rain" continuously for more than 24 hours and yet the accumulation is less than 2/100 of an inch. This drizzle most assuredly does limit visibility through the windshield so it is necessary to use the wipers but often on intermittent. When the RainX is worn the wipers do NOT wipe cleanly but leave a sort of haze of water on the glass that impedes visibility. Even brand new wiper blades leave this mess.

A freshly applied coat of RainX does wonders but after several weeks it just leaves a mess, at least that has been my experience.

Old 02-23-17, 02:31 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Totally different from my experience but that is the neat thing about these forums, you get input from different folks in different regions.

Old 02-23-17, 02:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
I find rainx works best when it is raining harder than a mist.

Old 02-26-17, 09:03 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Well, I have finished my new application and a big thanks to all. I followed PJMax's very good instructions and all worked fine. I cleaned the windshield, applied 1 coat, waited about 10 minutes, applied another coat, waited about 10 minutes and then buffed like crazy for several minutes. Apparently, the drying time and the extended buffing cured all my problems. The windshield has a fresh application and is crystal clear. Thanks again to all.

Old 02-26-17, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
I use the RainX washer fluid and it also works great. I haven't used the full strength stuff in years. Buy it in the off season and keep it til the weather changes. I normally pay about $1.25/gallon at the dollar store. It's something like $3.75 in season at Wally World.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: