Unable to upload photos

Old 05-03-17, 09:07 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unable to upload photos

Hello:
I want to upload several photos on one of DIY forum site. However, I was not able to upload them even though I followed all of procedures which posted 'PJmax/moderator.'

How to upload photos successfully on one of this boards?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Old 05-03-17, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
Your pics are probably too large and need to be resized. I like these 2 sites that will do it for you:

Picresize and Webresizer

Old 05-03-17, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the quick response.
Photos are;
JPEG Image
Dimension: 720 x 480(small by using Win 7)
Size: 121 KB
Is that too large to insert/upload photos?

Old 05-03-17, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator
No, that shouldn't be too large. Are you getting any messages when it fails or does it just not appear?

Old 05-03-17, 10:03 AM
Just NOT appear
There is no error message.

Old 05-03-17, 10:27 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
If you use DropBox upload to there and PM me the link. I'll try uploading for you.

Old 05-03-17, 03:33 PM
F
Received 49 Upvotes on 37 Posts
PineCone, I hope you'll excuse me not directly addressing your question, but I have an alternative I think you might find preferable (and plz excuse all the below if you're pursuing this as an exercise in problem solving).

I never upload pics to a forum. I upload the images to an image hosting site instead and then post a BB code link for the image into my post in the forum.

Why? Because image hosting is the sole function of those websites, and I'm happy any time I can lessen my impact on the overhead (storage space & processing) for the forums I frequent.

Plus, image hosting websites often offer the "built-in" option to manipulate your pictures, make them smaller and the like, as you upload them. Or even to display a reduced size image in the forum that automatically "embiggens" when the viewer clicks on it. That way you can post the full-size picture, say for instance you want to preserve all of its detail, and the viewers can decide for themselves whether they need to see the image you've uploaded in all its original ginormity.

Although different forums have different methods for posting images, the BB code used to add the image link to your post is nearly universal. Which means I don't have to figure anything out or re-learn how to post images when I go to another forum. You don't even have to learn BB code, just cut-and-paste what's provided by the image hosting website into your post.

This is a screen shot I took of your OP, which I converted to an image and posted to the hosting site bild.me:

click to embiggen

This particular image isn't being hosted by doityourself.com, so it isn't taking up any space on their file servers and they don't have to manage it. What your browser is displaying is the image that's at the other end of the link I posted.

And before you write this off because you don't know BB code, ...you don't need to. Uploading the image is a matter of following the simple instructions on the website. In the case of bild.me, this is what it displayed once my screenshot of your post finished uploading:

All I did was cut-and-paste the text that I circled in magenta into my post. I picked that one from all the ones offered because it is (as it says) a "zoomable preview." So the resulting image shown in the post is small but you can view it in full size by clicking on it. And I didn't have to learn the BB code with which to create the link because the hosting site has provided it.

The links they offer in BB code are the ones that have a square bracket ( [ ] ) at the ends. The ones with an angle bracket ( < > ) at either end are HTML code. Every forum I frequent accepts the BB code but as far as I know every forum in existence will accept one or the other. If there's ever any doubt as to which to use, just pick one, cut-and-paste and use the "preview" function to confirm.

bild.me is the site I use most frequently but they only can host an image that I've already downloaded to my PC. If it's an image that's already somewhere else on the 'web and I don't have any reason to download a copy of it first, I generally use imgur.com for the image host because you can "upload" the URL of the image's online location for them to host. That way I don't have to download it to my PC first.

Yes, this means that that image will then exist in two different places on the Internet, but sometimes that's the point. Some websites periodically change their online content (or go belly-up) so there's always the chance that the original picture could go away, leaving a 'dead' link in my post, and the lack of that image might render the post worthless.

And some websites don't want you hotlinking their images (it drives up their overhead but they don't get any credit for people viewing it). Having a duplicate hosted by another site honors that.

The downside is that the image hosting website might also go belly-up, meaning there'll be a dead link to every image you've ever posted through them. No getting around that but that's become a much less common occurrence over the years, and both bild.me and imgur.com seem to be pretty healthy these days.

Old 05-03-17, 06:05 PM
Z
Received 124 Upvotes on 115 Posts
Just NOT appear
There is no error message.
Me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-03-17, 08:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Try posting a small picture under 600x600 just as a test. We'll remove the test picture.
I post, move, resize, reorient anywhere from 5-15 pages a day here.

I prefer all pictures that can be posted here.... get posted here. I realize that many are too large but what happens when they are remotely hosted.... the account gets closed or unused and that picture gets replaced here with a missing photo page. I hate going to websites where all the pictures are gone.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 05-03-17, 09:10 PM
Also some alleged free image hosting sites only allow the posting of your picture along with their SPAM. If the links they provide don't end in JPEG, JPG, PNG, or GIF then you are not really posting your picture only. You are posting their SPAM which includes your picture.

Old 05-04-17, 05:38 AM
Thanks all for the responses.
I'd like to post the paint-job on one of the cars my son did which was very fantastic job, as if he's a pro.
Then, I want to share it by photos which tells thousand words as PJmax and others saying.

Resizing is an issue, because I've using Win 7 which is more than 600 x 600.
Could you direct me a good site for resizing the photos. Something easy for me, a novice to do.
Thanks for your help again.

Old 05-04-17, 06:25 AM
Oh, one more thing I forgot to mention is,
On Automotive board, I posted the title,
'Is there a way to paint '99 Corolla?' and I got many tips on which I really appreciate, because my son is not a pro. to do the job in the first place. Then those tips and advices are really helpful to have the paint-job done successfully.

For this, I want to share it by uploading/inserting several photos, front, back and side of the car to see the paint job.

Old 05-04-17, 07:13 AM
Z
If the upload rejection is for some legitimate reason, and not because of some criteria which the administrators don’t want you to know about, then IMHO the moderators should bring to the attention of the Webmasters the fact that some users are being rejected on the Upload – but are NOT GIVEN ANY ERROR MESSAGE!!

What’s the excuse for that?

Old 05-04-17, 07:24 AM
The best/easiest image program I have found is Irfanview (IrfanView - Official Homepage - one of the most popular viewers worldwide). I've used it for close to 20 years. Perhaps a testament to how good it is my Linux distro includes a script in the repository to install it (under Wine) even though it is a Windows only program. It's free and if you need any help with it I'll be glad to walk you through it.

Old 05-04-17, 09:27 AM
Thanks ray2047:
I did both, 'Dropbox' and IrfanView, both of which are very good. Easy to use.

However, the photos do not appear even though all of photos were resized to less than 600 x 600.

When I looked at DropBox, there were photos named 'Corolla Paint Job.' Those photos are more than 600 x 600 due to prior to re-sizing them.

I posted on Automotive board without photos expressing with much appreciation those tips and advices were really helpful to make the job done nice and professionally.

Old 05-04-17, 09:41 AM
If the Dropbox links are public post a couple of the links and Ill see if I can get them to post.

Old 05-04-17, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator
Yes it would be helpful to post the link (or PM it to me or Ray) so we can see what the problem might be. Really not sure if the problem's with the pics or the site or what.

Old 05-04-17, 12:04 PM
The below is the link,
my last post is all way down, #15, for 'Follow-up, .. Is there a way to paint '99 Corolla?'

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/pa...9-corolla.html
Yes, I, too puzzling about this problem, because one of responsers to my thread inserted several 'good photos' for his excellent job on his car. All photos appears to me more than 600 x 600.

Old 05-04-17, 01:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
Two comments:

1. You could post your pics via the "Your Projects" section. Takes a while for whoever moderates there for the project to appear, but the pics go there directly without need to first post to photobucket, et al.

2. For resizing, there are programs you can download to make resizing easier. I thought it was standard in Win7 [I think it was in XP & Vista] because I've used one for years [right click on file name and it appears in the menu], but my tow buddy needed to do some resizing and didn't have it on his Win7 and I had to download and install the little program to do that.

Old 05-04-17, 01:44 PM
Z
Does this description below from the FAQ on this site have anything to do with the link “How to Insert Pictures” that we see included on many posts on this site? Where is the link “How to Insert Pictures” coming from? What is the relationship between the instructions below and uploading pictures from your computer to posts on this site? Or are these two totally separate things? Seems confusing - to me anyway.

How do I add an image to a post?

All images must be hosted somewhere else before uploading onto DoItYourself.com.

To include an image that is located on another website, you can do so by copying the full URL to the image, (not the page on which the image is located), and either pressing the 'Insert Image' icon or by typing after it, ensuring that you do not have any spaces before or after the URL of the image.

Old 05-05-17, 05:39 AM
Photos on 'Is there a way to paint '99 Corolla?

There are photos for 'Is there a way to paint '99 Corolla?'
Thanks,

Old 05-05-17, 05:46 AM
The Link is below:
https://www.dropbox.com/home

Old 05-05-17, 06:10 AM
Bad link. It just takes me to my drop box. Notice there is no data specific to an item in your dropbox included in the link. A link looks like this https://www.dropbox.com/s/dvk06wd4tzzb8j0/unnamed.png?dl=0

The file must be in your public folder. Then hover your mouse over "only you" . It turns to share and you click share.

Name:  Spectacle.th6737.png
Views: 386
Size:  46.7 KB

Then on the next screen click "Create Link".

Name:  Spectacle.J10265.png
Views: 301
Size:  48.7 KB

Then on the next screen click "Copy Link".

Name:  Spectacle.TJ8890.png
Views: 286
Size:  52.3 KB

Last edited by ray2047; 05-05-17 at 07:20 AM.
Old 05-05-17, 06:22 AM
What do I need to do for that?

When I clicked, the Link appears with nice photos.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Old 05-05-17, 06:56 AM
When I clicked, the Link appears with nice photos
You don't click on the image. That just opens it. You need to assign a URL to it. Look at my edited post with screenshots.

I have merged your two threads.

Last edited by ray2047; 05-05-17 at 07:22 AM.
Old 05-05-17, 07:53 AM
Super Moderator
When you click on the link you posted, it will take you, and only you, to your pics. Anyone else that clicks on it will either be taken to their pics or dropbox's main page for someone to login or register.
Your link needs to be specific to YOUR pics, so that's why you need to follow Ray's instructions.

Old 05-05-17, 09:57 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Do you have Microsoft Office picture manager ? It's in Vista and some W7.

Old 05-05-17, 10:42 PM
Thanks all for the response.

I think I will postpone putting photos for awhile. Words also tell good.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: