A 2002 Caravan Q

Old 08-17-17, 06:53 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A 2002 Caravan Q

I have had to replace my brake light switch 3 times this year due to not being able to get the van out of park. The brake lights work just fine without any problems whatsoever.

Can't I remove the solenoid out of the steering column? If so how do I accomplish this?

Thank you.

Chuck

Old 08-18-17, 04:42 AM
Group Moderator
Received 67 Votes on 56 Posts
Short answer - no. It is part of the safety devices built into vehicles and any advice given here to defeat a safety device will be deleted. Where are you getting the switches from? I'm not much on buying dealer OEM parts, but you may want to.

Old 08-18-17, 08:59 AM
F
The solenoid looks like this...

2001 2002 DODGE GRAND CARAVAN SOLENOID SHIFT RELEASE P04680434AC OEM 1B1100 | eBay

The interlock is on pretty much all cars, a legacy of the unintended acceleration era of Audi, and also so that if you leave kids in a car while its idling they can't push the shift lever into gear. It is a pretty reasonable safety device, but the brake switch and solenoid can both fail. Sounds like your solenoid is on the verge of failing, so get it replaced, a good used one should suffice for the age of your car.

Old 08-18-17, 10:47 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Isn't there an adjustment on those switches?

Old 08-23-17, 06:36 PM
C
Thanks for the advice..The OEM is a great idea...

Old 10-15-17, 03:23 PM
C
Hmmmmmmm...

I replaced my brake light switch a couple of months ago and it acted up again last month. When I replaced it it still didn't come out of park. Bear in mind I rarely use this vehicle, maybe 40 starts a month. I disconnected the battery ground cable, waited a minute, re-connected it and the solenoid worked properly.

It happened again today. So I just disconnected the battery, waited a couple of minutes, re-connected it and it worked properly. I didn't have to replace the brake light switch today.

So what's up?

Any thoughts??

Thank you.

Chuck

Old 10-15-17, 05:57 PM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
A friend of mine had a similar problem, on a Ford. I told him to leave it in neutral until he got it fixed. I think that Shorty Long was right about those switches having an adjustment because that's what someone did. They moved the switch a hair & solved it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: