Lumina 3.1 lt '98 empty radiator into reservoir, fast!

Old 08-28-17, 07:07 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lumina 3.1 lt '98 empty radiator into reservoir, fast!

This car recently broke the power steering pully & belt. PS pump was changed & new belt inserted but now the temp needle rises very fast and the radiator empties into the reservoir. What might be done to diagnose the problem?

PS. The car ran very hot for a few mins the day it broke the belt...; no signs of oil in radiator nor water in oil, though.

Old 08-28-17, 08:33 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Have you checked the thermostat?

Old 08-28-17, 09:19 AM
B
Thanks for replying, stickshift!

Never thought of that, in fact, still don't know how it might have an impact on the water pressure inside the radiator. But it has given me an inclination on inspecting the themperature gauge (if I can locate it) because none of the fans are working. I took one of them out and it seemed good. The other one hasn't been taken out nor tested yet.

Can the thermostat be clogged & could it make the radiator water flow boiling out toward the reservoir?

Thanks in advanced for any help on this!

Old 08-28-17, 10:47 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
If you start the vehicle and the temperature starts to rise within seconds..... it sounds like your cooling system is air bound. The reservoir emptying confirms that.

Old 08-28-17, 10:52 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Pete - I think it's the other way; at least it sounds to me like the OP is saying the reservoir is filling, not emptying.

Old 08-28-17, 11:18 AM
Received 24 Upvotes on 19 Posts
Has the intake manifold gasket been changed ?

My money is on LIM and head gaskets

Old 08-28-17, 01:49 PM
Group Moderator
Sorry... misread the post.

If the only work done was to replace idlers, PS pump and belt.... the plot thickens. The thermostats don't normally just go bad like that. It almost sounds like the water pump isn't turning. As silly as it sounds.... maybe the belt isn't on correctly and the pump is spinning backwards.

Old 08-29-17, 03:50 PM
B
Thanks for replying, Pjmax, stickshift & 2granddaughters!

FOA, don't understand the terms OP nor LIM...

The only work done before this was to clean the IAC it was giving some bursts of power or not mantaining a constant speed (smoothly). At Autozone their code reader stated a P0507 problem. In fact, I've taken it out 2 times but the problem doesn't go away. Is there a way of testing the IAC outside? It has three contacts, so I guess there might be 2 different voltages to be used to move outward or inward but don't know for sure. Haven't subjected it (IAC) to any test, yet.

Have gone right now to recheck that the belt is correctly put so, there's no chance the water pump is running backwards.

Could a clogged thermostat be producing this?

Old 08-29-17, 05:33 PM
B
Received 293 Upvotes on 260 Posts
To address the erratic idle, remove the throttle body and clean with carb cleaner, especially the bores for the throttle shaft.
Best way to check if the t’stat has a problem is to remove it and see if the engine still overheats. If it does, you can eliminate the t’stat. Another way to check if the t’stat is opening is to remove the radiator cap. Make sure the coolant level is high enough to see it. Start the engine. When the temp gauge reaches the normal range the t'stat should open and you should be able to see coolant flowing in the top of the radiator since coolant enters at the top and exits at the bottom. It is very rare for t’stats to fail partially. Most of the time they fail full open or full closed. Make sure to replace radiator cap. Good luck.

Old 08-29-17, 06:09 PM
Group Moderator
the temp needle rises very fast and the radiator empties into the reservoir.
How fast is very fast ?
Does the reservoir overflow ?
I don't see a thermostat problem here.

OP = original poster

Old 08-30-17, 05:10 PM
Received 24 Upvotes on 19 Posts
LIM = lower intake manifold

Usually 3.1 and LIM go together in any sentence on the WWW

Old 08-31-17, 04:14 AM
A
Received 113 Upvotes on 98 Posts
would make sure you don't have air in the system some models have bleeders to help you fill the system back up and get the air out of the engine, best guess would probably be a head gasket if its blowing coolant out in a short amount of time, if the fans are not coming on could be caused by air in the system also.

Old 09-03-17, 08:55 AM
B
Question

If I decide to clean the throttle body, do I need to replace a gasket also?

The time required for the temp gauge to go 3/4 the span on the dash is ~8 mins. If it happens that I'm climbing a hill at these conditions the gauge goes back toward 1/2 the span.

Where's the "temp-sensor" in this car?

What tests can I perform on the IAC once it has been removed?

Thanks in advanced for your help!

Old 09-03-17, 10:49 AM
A
Received 113 Upvotes on 98 Posts
yes would replace the gasket if you removed the throttle body , might check for vacuum leaks by spraying carb cleaner around the intake gaskets and vacuum hoses also to see if you can find a vacuum leak witch would cause the erratic high idle issue and code to be set.
but would probably be more concerned about the engine blowing coolant into the reservoir at this point than any of the above items.

Old 09-16-17, 06:28 PM
B
Apparently, a gasket on the block has burnt out & the cylinder(s) are partially exhausting into the water conduit there & caused at least 2 holes at the radiator, also. A nephew of mine told me that it might cost ~$500 to fix everything. I think it's too much for an old car...

Thanks to all that collaborated!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: