Rattling Sound Under Car - Loose Clamps on Exhaust

Old 06-21-18, 03:59 PM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Rattling Sound Under Car - Loose Clamps on Exhaust

I have noticed rattling on both sides of my car. I looked underneath, and I can see clips bouncing around. I believe these hold the heat shields on the exhaust and catalytic converter, but I am not certain. What is the best way to fix this? Can I put a bolt through the clip and secure it on the end with a nut? Would it be better to replace the clips with worm clamps? This is a 2008 G35x. I appreciate any input.

Attached Images  
Old 06-21-18, 05:09 PM
Upvotes: 0
Canít see what your talking about but g35 exhaust heat shields always brake loose due to rust, you can cut it off or put a big metal band clamp around it.

Old 06-21-18, 05:19 PM
C
Thanks. This is a picture with a little more zoom. My heat shield has these clips with two holes on each side. They are loose and bouncing all around. I was going to stick a bolt through both holes and then tighten it with a nut. I guess there was some type of pin in there originally to hold them in place?

Attached Images  
Old 06-22-18, 03:04 AM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
I've had those heat shields re-secured using Sheet-Rock Screws and Fender Washers.

Sometimes, if there's a solid stud remaining, a nut of approximate thread may be forced on.

Some of these ad hoc solutions have lasted longer than the originally engineered design.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: