How to troubleshoot boiling sound?

Old 10-23-18, 05:35 AM
C
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How to troubleshoot boiling sound?

My 2007 Sienna is making some kind of boiling noise coming from the engine. Any suggestion where I should look?

Old 10-23-18, 05:54 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,623 Likes on 1,457 Posts
Have you had any work done on the vehicle? Maybe something like having the radiator flushed, water pump replaced or heater core replaced?

Old 10-23-18, 06:07 AM
V
Think the Thermostat might be stuck shut . . . .is there a thermometer on your Dashboard ?

Old 10-23-18, 10:52 AM
C
Vermont, yes. You can see it in the video on the far right side. The temperature is still below the middle.

Attached Images  
Old 10-23-18, 10:52 AM
S
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Are you actually hearing it from the engine, when you stand in front of the vehicle with the hood open? Or is it "from the direction of the engine," when seated inside? Trying to rule out noise from the heater core.

Old 10-23-18, 10:57 AM
C
Pilo Dane, no, I have not had any work done on this vehicle besides the usual oil change.

SuperSquirrel: No, I have not open the hood take verify the noise because it does not always make this noise. From inside the driver seat, I can hear it coming from the engine. If it's from the heater core, that's consider okay, right? How do I tell if it's coming from the heater core?

Old 10-23-18, 02:25 PM
S
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
The heater core is located in the dash, usually towards the passenger side. If the heater core is bubbling/gurgling, it indicates air in the coolant. Either from improper bleeding of a system after service (which might be what Pilot Dane was thinking about) or a leak in the cooling system.

Does the van make the noise all the time? Only when the heat or A/C is on? Anything you can do to isolate when it makes the noise would help. Same thing if you can open the hood, and move around and listen when you hear it. Trying to isolate the noise to a specific area of the engine compartment would greatly help. Right now, we're kind of guessing in the dark, since we can't actually hear it ourselves.

Old 10-24-18, 07:17 AM
C
SuperSquirrel: Thanks for the tips. I'll try those suggestions this weekend and report back.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: