Starting problem

Old 11-17-18, 04:04 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Starting problem

I have a 2001 Nissan Xterra starting problems the battery is good been checked starter got put in it a year ago and a garage turn it over you get the dash lights but that's it when you hit the start position there's no noise or nothing can it be the ignition or there a fuse or something

Old 11-17-18, 04:24 PM
A
Received 113 Upvotes on 98 Posts
could be ignition switch or a safety switch like park neutral switch not allowing it to start can always move the shifter into gear then back to park to see if it makes any difference, could also just be a bad connection loose or corroded battery cables, would need to see if your getting power to the small wire on the starter with a voltmeter or test light when the key is in the crank position for starting point.

Old 11-18-18, 06:30 PM
F
Battery

How old is the battery? Have you put a trickle charger on it overnight and then tried to start, or boosted it from another vehicle? What you describe is typical of a weak/discharged battery.

Maybe the alternator is not charging the battery, so even though your battery is (was) good, it may be discharged enough that it can't turn the engine over. Might end up being an alternator problem.

Old 11-18-18, 06:36 PM
G
Thanks

New battery plus had it checked new starter last week went to start it did the same thing wiggled a few times it started now it won't even if wiggled a bit so not sure if I it is ignition or not

Old 11-19-18, 02:06 PM
F
Ground, other things

Hmmm...not sure what part of the car or yourself you wiggled but if it worked that means your battery is ok, so that's good.

Perhaps the grounding to the engine/frame is corroded, and the grounding connection is causing the intermittant problem. See if you can trace where the negative battery terminal goes, not sure on your car but probably bolts to the engine block somewhere. Undo the bolt that hold this grounding cable and clean things up with a wire brush or dremel tool, probably a steel bolt in an aluminum engine block causing dissimilar metal corrosion. Put some grease on there and you will know you have a good ground.

Another way to go at this is try connecting a jumper cable from the negative battery terminal to the engine somewhere, a metal part like the intake manifold, and create an alternative grounding path for the ignition system. If it starts, that would tell you the grounding strap is not up to the task.

Old 11-19-18, 03:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Don't know what you wiggled but take apart connection near where you wiggled and clean connection.

Old 11-19-18, 03:19 PM
G
Key

Try to turn the truck over with the key I got nothing I just bring up the key a little bit and then tried turn it over again and it started did that a couple times in that week now it won't even turn over when I wiggle the key

Old 11-19-18, 07:15 PM
F
Switch

I can see why you might think its the ignition switch from what you have described. To test it you would remove the shrouding to get access to the switch wiring loom, and use a multimeter to test for voltage of the various wires in various key positions.

This is what the switch would look like. Might be good to take the few screws off the plastic shroud, and unplug and clean the connectors with electrical cleaner, then put back together. Sometimes you get almost invisible surface corrosion that can impair the voltage flow. Just snugging things up might do it.

https://img.go-parts.com/catalog/bra.../10EB3D3-1.jpg

But it could also be the ground issue I noted, which combined with a bit of weak voltage at the switch you don't get the electrical flow you need. You need to clean and inspect a few things to narrow this all down.

Old 11-19-18, 09:11 PM
G
Thanks so much

Yes I really check the ground wire first that could be it as the easier fixed to get to other than have never done the ignition thing I guess I could YouTube and give it a shot

Old 11-22-18, 03:57 PM
G
Not starting

I have a 2001 Nissan Xterra not turning over or cranky batteries at 12.5 put it in a starter in it actually had a new starter put in about a year ago at a garage but when you turn the key Ash lights come on and when you turn it over nothing not even really a click click but nothing how do I go about diagnosing this with my voltage meter

Old 02-11-19, 09:29 AM
Hearing you say "wiggle', suggests it may be a wiring issue? Check wiring. make sure all is connected well and not loose. Have you tried reconditioning the battery? I came across something not too long ago online and was able to "bring back" 3 batteries back to "life". Definitely, great thing to have for all future battery problems.

Last edited by doctor9; 02-11-19 at 11:28 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: