2004 Monte Carlo passenger door hitting fender

Old 12-13-18, 03:22 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
2004 Monte Carlo passenger door hitting fender

Hi. The car was hit in the right front fender a couple of years ago. That area was out of alignment but some muscling of things around got the hood to close properly, and the car has worked great for two or three years. Recently though, the passenger door is catching on the fender when being opened and closed, and it's making a loud popping noise. Attachment 30 shows the door face on. 12 shows the gap when photo is taken from the front. 06 has an arrow where it shows where it's catching. Any suggestions on fixing this without taking it to a body shop? Thank you.

Attached Images    
Old 12-13-18, 03:50 PM
Received 489 Votes on 453 Posts
The fender has moved rearward such that it is catching the door.

You need to open the hood and loosen all the fender bolts, including the one at the bottom behind the wheel and try to move the fender forward enough so it has clearance!

Old 12-14-18, 04:42 AM
Group Moderator
Received 67 Votes on 56 Posts
Just to add to marq's post for clarity, there should be vertical ones on the bottom BELOW the rocker panel pointing "up".

Old 12-14-18, 09:39 AM
M
Thanks very much, Marq1. A friend is going to help and we'll give your instructions a shot this coming week.

Old 12-14-18, 09:44 AM
M
Thanks a lot for the clarification, tow guy. I wouldn't have thought to look there.

Old 12-15-18, 07:04 AM
Received 16 Votes on 13 Posts
It's not just moved rearwards. It's moved inward also. You can clearly see this on pic 2. When you open the door, door trim edge moves in a arc. Basically, forward and towards the center of the vehicle.
That's exactly where it kisses the fender, as it's bent inward, towards that arc path. As in - it's BENT, not just moved. I think, when fender bolts loosened, it moved just a skosh back, was caught by the door, door dragged it inward, adding to insult.
If you think about it, fender edge has to be ever slightly more out vs door edge, so that door edge goes under and into it. That is why they have recess in fender - for the door edge to go into. If fender edge is behind the door leading edge, door will hit it.

Old 12-15-18, 07:41 AM
H
Received 158 Votes on 139 Posts
I'd also double check the door mounting bolts, if the top bolts loosen, the door will sag and pivot.

My sister had a Dodge Daytona where ALL of the top bolts on the driver's door worked loose, she asked me to check why the door was rattling,
I opened the door, the last upper bolt worked loose, and the door just about fell off the car, bottom corner just missed my foot...

Old 12-18-18, 10:30 AM
M
Thanks ukrbyk. Yeah, I was thinking it wasn't quite as simple as I'd originally thought. So it seems I might have to do some bending as well as adjusting. I also think (as you can see in photo #1) the fender needs to move downward a little. Appreciate the feedback and the explanation about the door mechanics too.

Old 12-18-18, 10:36 AM
M
Thanks Hal. I'll be sure to check all the bolts.

Old 12-19-18, 08:37 PM
M
Advice worked out great! Thanks so much! The pic is a little blurry but the door is lined up perfectly and doesn't touch at all. We just loosened as many bolts as we had access to, then manually pulled and manipulated the fender till it lined up, then tightened the bolts. Many many thanks for the expert advice!

Attached Images  

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: