Acura Oil Consumption

Old 03-02-19, 07:27 AM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Acura Oil Consumption

My 2011 Acura TL has the J37 engine, which is notorious for burning oil. Acura recently sent out letters to owners stating they will perform a consumption test and replace the piston rings of there is excessive consumption, which is anything over 1 qt per 1,000 miles. Mine is definitely burning that much. My question is, what all should they do as part piston ring replacement? The J37 has nikasil liners. Can they be safely/effectively honed? Should I have the rod bearings or any other part replaced while they have the motor torn apart? I'm due for a timing belt, so I'll likely have that done. Do you think replacing the rings and honing the cylinders will be adequate (apparently Acura does), or should I press them to replace the entire block? They have done so for other owners, but that was before this letter was sent out. I'd hate to go through all the hassle just to start burning oil again, so I'm questioning whether I should just leave it alone and keep adding oil every 500 miles or so.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-19, 09:18 AM
Received 392 Votes on 366 Posts
Typ there are 2 main areas where oil seeps into the combustion chamber, through the rings and the valves (assuming no other significant isssues).

So, yes, honing the cylinders and new rings should help assuming that is the cause which can be concluded by way of leak down pressure test.

How or why others had blocks replaced, don't know.

Should I have the rod bearings or any other part replaced while they have the motor torn apart?
Should other items be repaired at the same time, I guess, but wouldn't think it would be covered under the bulletin.

We have a Equinox that has similar issue and there is a bulletin to do exact same repair. After talking to a couple co-workers that used to be service technicians they felt that the level of repair done at a dealership might be worse than the small amount of oil burning so have decided to hold off for now!

Old 03-02-19, 10:24 AM
Received 12 Votes on 9 Posts
I had similar recall done to my Camry Hybrid. Failed oil test (drive her like hell for a week, it's well worth new engine!)
They replaced pistons with new design, piston rings and crank bearings. Took them only about 1.5 day.
I know it's Toyota, not Honda, but it's same mentality and, very likely, same procedure. New pistons had more and larger oil passages built in and some sort of low friction side cladding.
They will change your oil - you pay for that - seal oil cap and dipstick tube. Also, drain plug. Make sure seal is sealed for good, mine on oil cap - little narrow strip - peeled away day 2, so I resecured it. You don't want to give them option of blaming you with tempering as, if your engine fries during this, it's on them.
Again, drive he rlike hell, you do WANT engine to fail. You pretty much getting new engine.
After done, remove all ECU fuses you can find and re insert them next day, to reset all ECUs to new motor.
Gald you have it going, it's good.

Old 03-02-19, 11:52 AM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
How or why others had blocks replaced, don't know.
I'm assuming it's because people were driving and not checking the oil level, which led to engine failure, and/or Acura was replacing blocks because they did not yet know the cause of the oil consumption. Now they know for sure and are issuing letters.