Overheating Question

Old 06-27-19, 12:07 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Overheating Question

Hi all. I have a 2004 Mazda MPV. Lately, it starts out with normal temperature then after a while it gets hotter, even maybe 80% of the way to H, then it will settle down maybe to normal again, then it gets hot again, then gets cooler, and so forth. This can happen pretty quickly. It's never actually overheated. I can get a new thermostat for $133 installed, but if it is something else it's money wasted. Any thoughts on the likelihood of the problem given the symptoms? It has 195,000 miles on it. Thanks.

Old 06-27-19, 12:23 PM
A
Received 113 Upvotes on 98 Posts
would probably check coolant level make sure its full maybe check cooling fans or atleast get a better idea of when it starts to warm up are you in traffic and not moving very fast ? since you have more airflow when the vehicle is moving something like a bad cooling fan could cause temps to fluctuate a lot as you may not need it as much until you are stopped or moving very slowly.
in my opinion it doesn't really sound like a thermostat but its possible not sure how long a while is but the thermostat is probably going to start to open in the first 5-10 minutes of driving.

Old 06-27-19, 12:30 PM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi. Thanks for the reply. It first started being a problem when I was stuck in a traffic jam. Since then, it doesn't seem to matter how fast I am moving. I can be moving quickly and it still gets hot. The coolant was a little low but I filled it up some time ago.

Old 06-27-19, 03:21 PM
Received 62 Upvotes on 53 Posts
It behaves like as if t stat is acting up.
Do the cooling fans come up?
Otherwise, you may need to do full system flush with cleaning agent. Not that hard to do or expensive.
Also, check belt. It might be loose thus pump does not operate well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: