how to navigation

Old 01-07-23, 08:23 AM
J
Received 23 Upvotes on 21 Posts
how to navigation

Want to update 2013 Buick LaCrosse GPS navigation. Cannot find any info on this year. Prior to 2013 there is a CD you can purchase. But 2013 and later there is nothing I can find. The GM-navigation.com website says no updates are available for this year or several after. Later years it became automatic, but nothing for 2013. What gives?

Old 01-07-23, 08:34 AM
Received 24 Upvotes on 19 Posts
Obsolete, no longer supported

Old 01-07-23, 08:55 AM
J
Yet, 2012 and older are available as a CD and 2014 and newer are available as a USB stick. Just the 2013 in not available. And I cannot figure out whether it is a CD or a USB stick.

Old 01-07-23, 01:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
USB vs CD comes down to does the 2013 have both ?
When was the last time yours was upgraded ?

There is a 2013 update disc listed on Ebay but Buick is not shown in the compatible vehicle list.
There is a GM authorized site for updates and 2 granddaughters is correct... no longer supported.

Old 01-07-23, 05:07 PM
J
But why only the 2013? I suspect it is not the normal dropping of support due to age. Otherwise why are the preceding and succeeding model years available? The car has both USB and CD. I just bought this used. No idea if it has ever been updated.

Old 01-15-23, 07:07 AM
Received 62 Upvotes on 53 Posts
OK, it takes a year to make updated map CD ROM. In that year, it becomes obsolete anyway.At the cost of $200 and up. A smart phone with Waze or Google maps updates itself every 20 minutes, knows traffic, police, accidents, weather, obstacles on the road, etc.
Waze is NOT a data hog, I checked.
So WHY BOTHER?

Old 01-15-23, 07:44 AM
J
Logically you are correct. We recently took a 3000 mile road trip and alternated between the car’s navigation and google maps on an iPhone. I trusted google maps over the car’s navigation system. Yet, I wished the nav system was better as it had the bigger screen and was better integrated into the car’s system.Yes, a newer car with the Apple play or whatever would solve this.

My original question was based on why only that one model year of the car was not supported by updates. Earlier years are still supported with updates. As are newer ones. That suggests to me this specific year, 2013, had a problem. Their answer was to just say this model year was no longer had updates. No further explanation.

Researching I found they changed method of updating that year as well. So I surmise they had issues with updates and were not able to resolve them. My assumption is they just moved on. Owners of that model year were just left without support.

I bought the car used and the navigation system not a determining factor. Guess it falls into the mantra of “you get what you get, and don’t throw a fit.”

Old 01-15-23, 09:15 AM
D
Received 12 Upvotes on 10 Posts
I would recommend finding a Buick LaCrosse discussion forum (if one exists) and do some reading, someone may have figured out how do update the maps. When I had my 2011 Charger the only supported update was what was mentioned above, big money for out of date maps.
Someone figured out how to create your own map updates via a thumb drive, just needed to do a one time purchase of a Garmin GPS that came with lifetime maps, which was cheaper than buying one update from Chrysler.

jeweler voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: