5spd auto Transmission not shifting out of 3rd

Old 01-08-23, 02:15 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
5spd auto Transmission not shifting out of 3rd

2007 Mazda 6 - 162k miles. Purchased 1 year ago at 154k miles. Wouldn’t shift out of 3rd. Mechanic shop apparently doesn’t do “transmission work”
and would only flush the trans to check fluid for metal particles, an indication of potential damage. Mechanic didn’t even know if there was a filter in the transmission. ?? No metal in fluid. He ran diagnostics and came back with the codes below. He said solenoids are inside transmission. ??? It’s been awhile since i worked on my 79 Pontiac, but I’ve done several transmission tune-ups which included dropping the pan and changing filter.

quick YouTube video shows shift solenoids and filter just under the pan. So can most mechanic shops “check” the solenoids? Or just replace? Also I just checked the fluid level after getting home and it’s way above the second notch. That’s not good.

After resetting, all codes came back except torque converter

Filter and solenoids Clearly accessible inside pan

Old 01-08-23, 04:21 PM
A
Received 113 Upvotes on 98 Posts
looking for a shop specifically would probably suggest transmission shops as many general repair shops may not do much work on transmissions, solenoids should have a resistance value and likely can be tested with the right equipment and perhaps it is something you can attempt to repair yourself.

Old 01-08-23, 07:05 PM
D
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
My days of dropping transmission pans are over. I will look for a shop that does basic transmission maintenance/repair and go from there.

another question - the shop I was
at today wanted To drain the trans fluid specifically to look for metal particles, a sign of possible degradation of trans, and tile that out. None found. However, in one of the videos I saw tonight, showed there is a magnetic plate in the trans pan, meant to collect any small metal particles that wear off, so that they don't keep cycling through the trans and cause failure. If that’s the case, was it a waste of time/money drain if the fluid for that reason?

Old 01-08-23, 07:59 PM
A
Received 113 Upvotes on 98 Posts
many shops use a drain and fill machine that hooks into the transmission cooler lines and by running the vehicle the transmission pumps out the old fluid however this would of all been filtered and you really need to drop the pan to see the contamination that settles in the bottom of the pan and at the magnet a car with 150k miles on it would have some just as normal wear so it does not really tell you that much in reality so its likely all still there for the next shop to see if they did not remove the pan.
the only real advantage to using the machine is it does exchange almost all the fluid where dropping the pan alone only gets about 1/3 of the old fluid out the rest is still in the torque convertor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: