Transmission fluid bubbling out of dip stick!

Old 05-07-23, 12:06 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Transmission fluid bubbling out of dip stick!

Saab 95 arc 2004. I did not run this car for a year and a half. BAD I Know! I just started it up once in awhile . but could not fix it to pass inspection code P1110. I am not here to talk about bypass valve or hoses.

SO I drove it around town engine oil looks clean it needs brakes, When I went to check the tranny oil dip stick the oil came gushing out like a volcano. Tranny oil is low when cold. I am going to change it out 2-3 times to get rid of all the old stuff. Ive read that it does that when level is overfilled so I am puzzled. Another thing manual says to use mineral base oil Saab 3309. Online I have seen a few to equal that. All the parts store are selling me synthetic, So which kind should i use if I do go SYN? I know this makes a bigger difference on motor bikes Synthetic can eat rubber and gaskets not sure if its the same here on cars?

PS ONE more thing I will have a tougher time trying to figure out how much fluid to replace since a bit came spewing out. I will just add a fair amount and keep checking the Dip stick very often? I guess.
thx for any feed back
Al

Last edited by biketrax; 05-07-23 at 12:22 PM.
Old 05-07-23, 01:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,881 Upvotes on 3,478 Posts
I would never mix types in a transmission.
You may need to go to a dealer and pay premium for the correct fluid.

From Saab Central......
There is a vent hose on the AW55 transmission in your car. It comes out of the transmission on the top and runs up past the brake booster and should be tied off with a zip tie back by the master cylinder. Check to see if that was plugged.

Old 05-08-23, 07:01 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
When I went to check the tranny oil dip stick
​​​​​​​Transmission fluid bubbling out of dip stick!
Just to confirm, is this an automatic or manual trans?

Old 05-08-23, 08:34 AM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Automatic I believe Saab95 ARC are all Auto.

Old 05-08-23, 06:52 PM
D
Group Moderator
Received 249 Upvotes on 199 Posts
Referencing Marq1 in post #3. (Statement & question in the same sentence)
I'm an old school mechanic so....... AFAIK, there is no check tube or filler tube on manual transmissions. This could have changed over the years with newer cars. Again, AFAIK, you would check or fill a manual tranny from a fill plug on the side of the tranny like a rear-end / differential.
Has that changed? Does any mfg put a filler or check tube on a manual today? Just asking a question.

Old 05-08-23, 09:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,881 Upvotes on 3,478 Posts
There could be a vent on a manual transmission but no filler tube.

However... we're dealing with an automatic transmission and what I posted was from Saab forums in response to many members asking about the overflowing fluid from the dipstick.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: