Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

Best stud finder which can locate a joist which hangs 1.25" above the drywall

Old 03-02-16, 03:31 PM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Best stud finder which can locate a joist which hangs 1.25" above the drywall ? The joist does not touch the drywall since strapping is used. The strapping is screwed/nailed to the joist and the drywall touches the strapping not the joist. The drywall I'm not sure is either 5/8" or 1/2" thick.

Thanks

Old 03-02-16, 03:44 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 962 Votes on 883 Posts
No stud finder can locate a stud that is not touching the drywall. A stud finder could locate the strapping but not the studs above them. A magnet or magnetic finder can find screws and nails but in your case it probably will only find the screws or nails attaching the strapping.

I would do some thinking about where the joists are and which way they run. Then you can drill a tiny hole and insert a wire to see if you hit the stud. Then once you've located a stud you can measure over to find the others and pray they are all equally spaced something normal like 16" center to center.

Old 03-02-16, 03:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,599 Votes on 1,473 Posts
I use a stud finder with an "extra deep" setting. You first need to locate the strapping. Mark it.
Then using the stud finder on extra deep you slide it horizontally across the wall between the strapping. You need to hold the scanner tight to the wall to get a correct scan.

Once you locate a stud or two you can measure from there to find the others.

I have this Zircon unit. Mine is probably 15 years old or better. It's been all around the world and it's been a real performer. You need to practice with a scanner to get used to it's operation.

Name:  zircon.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  37.7 KB

Old 03-03-16, 05:59 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It might help to know what you are going to use the joist for, to hang something?
If you're only looking for one joist, it will be easier. I would make an educated guess and then probe as said above.

Old 03-03-16, 06:11 AM
J
Received 106 Votes on 93 Posts
Any access from above?
If so you could drill some small holes from that side and line them up from below.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: