Knockdown and Paint in Florida

Old 03-11-16, 05:00 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Knockdown and Paint in Florida

Just purchased a foreclosure in Wesley Chapel Florida , need cosmetic work mostly . New to Florida from NY , never had the knockdown type finish before . There is some joint cracking and repair , lots of picture holes , etc . Whats the best product to use to blend in and not stick out like a flat patch ? For painting , 3/8 nap roller ? I also want to repaint the doors , satin or semi-gloss ?, and is a sprayer better for the doors , both in time and a nice no brush mark finish ?

Old 03-11-16, 05:16 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 860 Upvotes on 752 Posts
With minor repairs it's best just to add joint compound [or spackling] just in the hole/crack. Bigger repairs will entail spraying texture over the repair and knocking it down. Since everyone's texture and knockdown technique is slightly different you may need to practice on some scrap [cardboard will also work] Both the thickness of the j/c and how long you wait before knocking it down affect the look of the texture.

What sheen to use on the doors and trim is a personal choice, I've used satin, semi-gloss and gloss. I prefer gloss. Generally spraying provides the nicest finish but usually isn't a good option in a finished house - too much work covering everything up to contain the overspray. A nice job can be done with a brush, some will use a roller. Tipping off the rolled on paint with brush will get rid of the roller stipple. Do you know what type of paint is currently on the woodwork? http://www.doityourself.com/forum/pa...latex-oil.html A 1/2 nap is normally the best size for rolling the textured walls.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: