Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

Should I have used mesh to fix small hole in wall

Old 08-02-16, 11:34 PM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I've already gone and filled with a few layers of joint compound ready mix. But the hole just about when all the way through the drywall. The hole was about 1.5" in diameter or a little bigger. Should I still use mesh now even though its now flush and finished sanded and smooth ?

Old 08-02-16, 11:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,476 Votes on 1,364 Posts
Although using mesh on a hole that size is not required..... using it at the point you're at now can keep the patch from cracking.

Old 08-03-16, 03:42 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
So you just filled the hole with j/c? if so, it will crack at some point Adding mesh now might help. In the future a hole like that should be covered/embedded in drywall tape, then finished. Another/better option would have been to cut a 'plug' from scrap drywall. The plug would be cut at least 2" larger than the hole with the excess gypsum and paper removed from the back side. The paper left on the front acts like tape when you embed it in j/c.

Old 08-03-16, 07:44 PM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
@marksr yes that is what I did. Can I go ahead and cut out the patched portion with a utility knife and start over ?

Old 08-04-16, 04:11 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Yes, you can start over but I'd be inclined to cover the hole with drywall tape or mesh and then skim coat over it. No sense in starting over. ..... but then you can see the repair, I can't

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: