Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

how to fix a vertical section of drywall that is slightly splitting and elevated

how to fix a vertical section of drywall that is slightly splitting and elevated

Old 08-09-16, 02:21 AM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

There is a slight hairline crack in the drywall that runs vertically and fallowing the vertical crack there is a noticeable elevation to the vertical crack. The elevation reaches a peak along the crack which again runs vertically. How would ?i fix this crack and work out the elevation so that the elevation disappears for most part ?

Should I apply just joint compound on both sides of the vertical crack in order to smooth out the elevated areas or would another approach be better ?

Old 08-09-16, 05:09 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,154 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
It's possible that it's a seam between sheets. Usually there is a "tape" applied across the joint to reinforce it. If you're committed to making a repair I would first try and pull/peel to remove the joint tape so you can install new tape.

Long vertical cracks can appear when the sheets of drywall are not properly secured. Once you have the tape off push back and forth on either side of the crack. Do the panels move? If they do you need to find out why (they should not move). Maybe you just need to install extra screws along both edges to secure them to the stud underneath. Sometimes drywall is installed incorrectly with joints not supported which can be difficult to fix easily so we'll treat that once you report back.

Old 08-09-16, 09:09 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
I'm having a hard time envisioning the details you describe - can you post some pictures?

Old 08-09-16, 12:42 PM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
@Pilot thanks and yes the crack is exactly at the seams where the tape should have been applied. However when pushing back and forth on both sides of the crack the sheets do not really appear to rock and back and forth but the crack seems to widen ever so slightly bit more.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: