Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

Smooth finish of a installing a drywall sheet vs a cut out patch

Old 08-11-16, 11:24 PM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Just one question why is the smooth finish between two sheets taped better than when patching a drywall piece of cut out ? I've run may hand over the taped sections of two drywall sheets taped then plastered and a piece of repaired drywall and the repaired sections and it is possible to notice the elevation in the repair but its difficult to tell where two sheets have been taped and then plastered.

Any reasons why this is the case ?

Old 08-12-16, 03:50 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I'm having a hard time understanding what you are asking

If you mean the difference between a butt joint and a beveled joint - the factory beveled edges allow the tape to slightly recess resulting in a flatter joint. These joints are typically 8"-10" wide when finished. A butt joint needs to be floated out further to make the joint disappear - typically 15"-24"

If that doesn't answer your question, try explaining it again or maybe someone else will have a better take on it

Old 08-12-16, 07:09 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
In my mind it means the initial drywall finisher did a better job than the person who made the repair.

Old 08-14-16, 11:22 PM
V
@Marksr let me try to explain it another way. Take a new room that has been drywalled. the walls must use sheets of drywall that placed side by side yes ? So you have a several 4' x 8' sheets side by side. The seams between the two sheets are taped yes ? What I have noticed when you run your hand over the walll from one side to the other you cannot notice any elevations where the tape was vertically applied to cover the seams between the two sheets. But when someone does a patch the patch sometimes seems like an elevated bump. Hope that helps.

Old 08-14-16, 11:26 PM
V
@Marksr ah I get it brand new sheets it's edges are beveled (recessed) yes ?

Old 08-15-16, 04:13 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Yes, the long edges of a full sheet of drywall is beveled, the 48" or 54" end is not. A patch would be like the butt end. The beveled joint aids the finisher by allowing most of the mud/tape to be recessed. The butt end [or a patch] needs to be floated out further so there isn't a noticeable hump.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: