Patching 1/2" holes in stucco

Old 09-10-16, 08:14 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Patching 1/2" holes in stucco

The last owner of my house anchored a 4x4 with (4) 1/2" lag bolts thru the stucco sideways and into the stud. I removed the 4x4 and now have these holes to patch. I worry about the house seal ( tar paper ) having a hole and of course the damage to the 2x4 framing. What is the proper way to repair this. There are stucco patch caulking that claims to seal. Should I shove some wood epoxy to repair the wood? I could screw the lags in and cut them off, them patch the stucco. I thought about using wood dowel and glue on the framing them caulking for the sealing. Any ideas. It seems like people remove lag bolts going into the side of the houses when over hangs and patios are removed. Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks,
J

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-16, 09:10 PM
R
Received 28 Votes on 24 Posts
Inject some good quality silicone into the offending holes just enough to leave about an inch in depth to finish filling the hole with stucco cement after the silicone dries. Wouldn't worry about the hole in the stud it isn't weakened with those small holes.

Old 10-13-16, 08:47 AM
J
Repairing holes in stucco from large bolts

I have four 1/2" holes drilled through the stucco into a stud on my house. I would really like to know what to do about the these holes with respect to the moisture barrier. The house is stucco. how can I reseal the barrier around the house. Reading the theory about sealing the house the prospects of these voids worries me. Do I need to remove the interior wall and slip in some tar paper? (Not the easiest solution)
Do they make a seal, caulking etc. that will seal the void. Can I cut up some tar paper and fit it into the holes followed by roof cement or silicone. There are some caulking offered to patch the stucco, but what about the holes in the barrier?

Are there standard ways to do this?

Any help appreciated.

J

Old 10-13-16, 08:50 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 321 Votes on 285 Posts
Is it colored stucco or painted? Where in the wall are these holes? pics showing their location would be nice.

Old 10-13-16, 09:20 AM
J
Name:  IMG_1715.jpg
Views: 5920
Size:  50.9 KB

Name:  IMG_1716.jpg
Views: 4762
Size:  48.6 KB

Name:  IMG_1718.jpg
Views: 4420
Size:  47.4 KB

Name:  IMG_1719.jpg
Views: 3988
Size:  38.8 KB

It's painted stucco. Holes are start about 4' from the ground. I'll try to attach photos. So far I fitted hardwood dowels and glued them into the holes of the 2 x 4's

Thanks,
J

Old 10-13-16, 11:01 AM
T
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Either of two ways.

Take the dowels out.
Squirt some silicone caulk as deep not the hole be careful not to get any on the sides and face of the hole. Leave th caulk shy about a half inch. Get some stucco patch and finish filling the hole nce th caulk has set. Texture like th existing.

Or
Take out the dowels.
Get some stucco patch and mix it according to the instructions. Put it in a gallon freezer bag. Cut off a corner and squeeze the mix into the hole scrape it off flush, texture like the existing and paint.
If the mud does not squeeze through the bag mix up a new batch with a drop of Dawn dish detergent in a half gallon of water and mix with that water. You will not use all he water but the dilution factor is About right. You can also lubricate he bag with the leftover water before you put the mud in.

Are the holes protected by an overhang? Don't make this more complicated than t needs to be
I'd have had it done in the time it took to type this.

Old 10-13-16, 11:07 AM
T
Do you see that dollop of caulk near the hole in the second picture? Does that bother you?

Old 10-13-16, 03:43 PM
R
Received 28 Votes on 24 Posts
I will give you the same answer I gave when you asked this question in September : Inject some good quality silicone into the offending holes just enough to leave about an inch in depth to finish filling the hole with stucco cement after the silicone dries. Wouldn't worry about the hole in the stud it isn't weakened with those small holes.

Old 10-13-16, 04:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 675 Votes on 624 Posts
Old 10-13-16, 10:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
Merged two threads into one.

Old 10-14-16, 09:25 AM
T
You seem to be worried about the moisture resistant paper being penetrated and I see you have glued the plugs n e only way you can remove them is drill them out. Since you are worried about the moisture barrier you will have to replace it. There are ether of two way. Th process is the same you can either do it in one patch or four. Cut th stucco out four inches around each hole or a strip four inches wide for all the strips plus four inches above and below the top and bottom holes. Be very careful not to cut he exsting paper. Once all the stucco is removed from he mesh cut e mesh in th middle. Fold it out of the way. Insert new paper lapping it under at the top and over at th bottom lap it on the sides. Make sure you get plenty of lap. You can even smear. New paper with roofing cement t glue it behind and over the existing. Put th wire back in place.x. Cut a new piece of wire or metal lath to fit over the existing that you put back in place. You don't want a crack right down t he middle so you need to reinforce it. Paint ll the edges of the hole with bonding agent and mix up some stucco and fill in the hole screed it off flush, float th joining out nice and even with what s thre. Texture it and when it is cured paint it.
Have I forgotten anything?

OR

PLUG THE HOLES AS SUGGESTED A FEW TIMES ABOVE AND BE DONE WITH IT!

Old 10-14-16, 10:09 AM
Group Moderator
Received 675 Votes on 624 Posts
PLUG THE HOLES AS SUGGESTED A FEW TIMES ABOVE AND BE DONE WITH IT!
Exactly. Why make a mountain out of a mole hill. This is so insignificant.