Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

Water damage on corner connecting exterior walls

Old 01-14-17, 01:53 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Good afternoon,

I have some obvious water damage that I believe has been a long time in the making. When i bought the house, the inspector found a screw on our roof (metal house/roof) that was sideways, letting water in. The realtor "fixed" it and repaired the wall.

All they did I believe, now that I have this damaged wall, is just plaster the hole up. I'm pretty sure the damage is coming from the same place, but I have to figure out for sure. It's either coming from that or from a hole created from overfilled gutters weighing down in the back.

Once I figure out the cause of the water leak I will need help in repairing tihs wall. (during a large thunderstorm, i notice it damp...not sopping, but barely damp) Pictures below...

Any suggestions? I'll take suggestions on finding the source of the leak, as well as wall repair as well

Pictures:

Name:  backwaterdamage.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  16.5 KB
Name:  backwaterdamage2.jpg
Views: 1027
Size:  13.8 KB

Thanks so much!

Old 01-14-17, 02:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Leaks occur on the outside so pictures of the roof or siding might help.

Old 01-15-17, 03:24 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
In addition to posting pics of the exterior you might also see if you can get in the attic and shine a light on that area of the roof for water stains. You should be able to tell the difference between fresh and old stains.

Old 01-15-17, 11:26 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
pics from exterior

Here's some pics from the exterior

I posted this b/c it's funny, one of our three great danes is wondering what i'm doing outside
Name:  roof01.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  27.3 KB

The measuring tape shows where the wall is in relation to the other side. I measured and marked w/ the measuring tape on this one:
Name:  roof02.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  29.8 KB

I didn't see any places for leaks here, but you all may see something I didn't
Name:  roof03.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  22.2 KB

Same here:
Name:  roof04.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  29.5 KB

This is where the culprit was last time, and i think the sealant they used has worn off...does it look like it to you as well? The screw on the left, not sure if you can tell, was originally screwed in at an angle, letting water in the remaining angle/crevice. Dumb.
Name:  roof05.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  19.3 KB
Name:  roof06.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  21.5 KB

Thoughts?
I really appreciate you all!

Old 01-15-17, 11:31 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Is the soffit level, or is it pitched at the same angle as the roof? The screws have neoprene washers and "shouldn't " leak, but could. I think I would be unscrewing one of the roof panels to lift it up and have a look underneath.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: