Inside corner repair

Old 02-18-17, 12:37 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Inside corner repair

I’ve been looking at the one corner of my living room for last 6 months finally getting around to fixing it here what I found
Tape coming away pressing on drywall I got movement of 1/8inch so cut loose tape and peeled it away found 1/4inch gap between drywall edges, screwed drywall to studs every 12inch both sides and cheated on this part filled gap with painters caulk just waiting for it to set the going to apply mud and metal/paper inside corner along with usual mud applications and feathering. Fingers crossed this will fix my problem as I have noticed same issue now in a bedroom inside corner so suspect I will find same once I remove old tape, if anyone can see a step I should add please post it thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-17, 12:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! What did you get a 1/8" movement in? The tape or the drywall itself? You should have not applied caulking to a open gap prior to fixing it with mud. Was not the drywall screwed/nailed to the studs in the corner to begin with?

You can use a metal embedded corner tape if you wish, but normally only paper tape is required for inside corners. Use a setting compound like Durabond or one of the Easy Setting powders.

Strait-Flex 2 in. x 100 ft. Perfect 90 Drywall Joint Tape Inside corners P-90-100-Perfect-90 - The Home Depot

Old 02-18-17, 01:58 PM
R
hi it was the drywall that was moving and the gap was where the 2 pieces of drywall meet in the corner, you could physically see the drywall being pulled in the studs when I installed the screws. As for caulking it was something I gleamed of youtube it seems to be holding after I applied mud and corner piece.

Old 02-18-17, 02:05 PM
R
I looked at "Strait-Flex " here at home depot Canada its twice the price as in the USA for same product LOL