Dog Eating Spackle

Old 03-31-17, 12:58 PM
X
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Dog Eating Spackle

Hello! So a while back we had some damage to the wall that I need to repair. I bought the DryDex Spackle kit. I have tried at least 5 or 6 times and every time my dog has decided to lick it off. This is even after it has dried and been painted over! Does anyone have any ideas on how I could make this something that he will not destroy? Is there something I can put in it? Any ideas at all?

Thank you in advance!

Old 03-31-17, 01:09 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Maybe coat it with a paste of cayenne pepper ? You'd have to wash it off and repaint but maybe that would sour him on tasting.

Old 03-31-17, 01:56 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
If he's a puppy he should out grow it. If not then he was not trained properly. My dog ate a hole right through the wall as a puppy. Block the wall and discipline when he does it.

Old 04-01-17, 12:17 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Not that I need any reasons, but it seems to me to be another reason why not to have a dog.

Cats rule, dogs drool, except for my Squirmy cat that has a terrible slobber problem.

Old 04-01-17, 03:17 AM
Furd,

Cats don't come when you call them.
They enter your space because they demand your attention.
Dogs are a friend and companion.
Cats are a freeloading house mate who makes the rules. And are allowed to break those rules if it suits them.
Cats are plotting your demise and only limited to achieve that end due to lack of thumbs.
Cats ruin puzzles.
They will find the most delicate (and expensive) piece of knickknack and crawl behind it just to see how it will fall and break.
They will disturb you while reading or surfing.
Counter tops are made for them no matter what you have on it. They will either move it (see previous bullet) on just sit on top of whatever is there.
They will eat your offspring, and most likely regurgitate it later on your new carpet.
Cats will demand you feed them the most expensive food and then not eat it.
Did I mention that cats are out to eliminate the humane race?
Cats insist that a vet bill be very expensive. (It's in the fine print).
Cats are scary at night.
Cats will wait at the door to come in or out and do neither when you open the door.
Cats will like it if you scratch behind their ears. The will love it when they draw blood from behind your ears.
They are plotting to kill you. In case I did not mention that one.

Furd, all in jest. I'm not a cat hater, but I prefer a dog, a large one.

Last edited by Norm201; 04-01-17 at 03:47 AM.
Old 04-02-17, 08:11 AM
X
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the follow up. He is not a puppy. He is a 6 year old German Shepherd and this is the first time I have ever had to Spackle anything. I will try the cayenne pepper idea. I have disciplined him even when catching him in the act but from what I have read apparently this stuff just calls to dogs.

Old 04-02-17, 07:01 PM
Te dog is frustrated. He needs a distraction. You may not realize it but he is trying tell you something. He can be broken from the habit but you need to provide a different stimulation. Dogs do not normally eat wall board or Spackle.

Old 04-02-17, 11:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 12 Upvotes on 7 Posts
xaryss,

It sounds like he does need a deterrent since it keeps happening. If you can't use something like Cayenne or Tabasco with success, another to try is Bitter Apple, do let us know. I'll check into other things, but to be honest, that is my tried and true method.

Also, get the MSDS on the brand and type of Spackle you are using, the company will send it free. There may be something in the product that your dog's nutrition is lacking...at least worth looking into.

Do keep us posted.

Old 04-03-17, 03:03 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
You can get the MSDS info for paint online, I assume the same would be true for the spackling you used.

http://www.dap.com/media/160912/00010420001english.pdf

Old 04-03-17, 03:31 AM
RhainyC,

You make two points.

1st. A deterrent, although may solve the eating spackle problem will only transfer the problem to another "bad" habit. Sometimes those habits may not be obvious. Distraction and training is what will solve the problem. Not so easy but it's the proper way.

2nd. Your note about diet is a good one. Never thought about it. A good vet will be able to analyze and provide proper diet. Diet is the very first thing my daughter will look at when client comes in for an ill pet. Regardless of the problem (except obvious physical injury). In many cases what another vet might prescribe in meds, my daughter's suggestion to change diet will most often correct problems, both physical and personality ways.

Last edited by Norm201; 04-03-17 at 03:52 AM.
Old 04-03-17, 09:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 12 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Norm201,

You are correct about the training and distraction. I did something I don't often do, I assumed, the dog was trained properly...though these days I should know better, as most are not properly trained.

Transference is always a possibility. I hadn't thought to comment on that because of my above mentioned assumption. Thank you for pointing that out by the way. I am a bit rusty these days!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: