peeling paint-concrete & plaster ceiling

Old 06-07-17, 11:21 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
peeling paint-concrete & plaster ceiling

I live in an apartment building with concrete and plaster walls. The bathroom over the shower is peeling badly and I am wondering if I should just plaster the peeled area or how best to proceed. See photos.Name:  20170607_080504[1].jpg
Views: 998
Size:  12.5 KBName:  20170607_080516[1].jpg
Views: 674
Size:  11.2 KB Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-17, 11:31 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Apartment is a word which alerts many of us, as it implies one is renting to those of us in the US. If this is the case, your landlord should be alerted and you should not be attempting this at all.

If you are allowed to perform repairs, I would look at first why the issue is occurring and would bet you are not removing enough moisture after the shower is used. Whatever the reason, fix it first.

Old 06-07-17, 04:53 PM
E
Thx for the reply. Its a co-op, so its my problem. The problem preceded me, I put it off and now its time to fix it. I have a plan for the bathroom, but this comes first. Apartment building also means most of the readily available info re: dry wall and 2x4 beams don't apply.

Last edited by elihu; 06-07-17 at 07:13 PM.
Old 06-08-17, 03:48 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
How old is the bldg? Along with moisture I'd bet it was originally painted with oil base enamel and then repainted with latex without the proper prep to insure the two will bond.

You'd want to scrape off all the loose and sand prior to skim coating with joint compound. If the bldg is from the 70's or older it could have lead based paint which should not be sanded! Only way to tell if old oil base paint is lead based is to test it.

Old 06-08-17, 10:34 AM
E
Building is from 1960s, so yes, and thank you for the reminder, lead paint may be an issue, though I also suspect poor upkeep and shoddy work. Should I use joint compound or plaster? And will it look bad if I plaster the area where the paint peeled, but not where the paint is good?

Old 06-08-17, 01:34 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
Joint compound is fine to use [I've never used plaster and don't know too much about using it] The only issue with just floating the peeled spots is getting the 'texture' to match. The new j/c may be slicker than the areas that have multiple coats of paint brushed/rolled on it. .... but that 'texture' can usually be duplicated if need be.