Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

Patching effloresced brick/plaster(?) wall

Patching effloresced brick/plaster(?) wall

Old 07-26-17, 08:52 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 186
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Patching effloresced brick/plaster(?) wall

I'm dealing with some efflorescence ruining an interior wall of my condo. The condo association has corrected (we think) the exterior water intrusion issue, so now I'm looking to repair the interior wall.

The condos were built in an old, repurposed mill with solid brick walls. The interior wall has a cementious layer over the brick that is all but powder at this point in many areas. I was planning on cutting/scraping/wire-brushing all areas that seem crumbled or weakened and then re-plastering (or whatever it is that's on the walls).

Anything special that I need to do or look for? What cementious material would be good for patching these areas, as it's quite a large area?

Name:  IMG_1277.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  21.6 KB

Name:  IMG_1273.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  16.9 KB

Name:  IMG_1275.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  18.8 KB
Old 07-27-17, 04:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA - N.E.Tn
Posts: 49,395
Received 720 Likes on 631 Posts
As a painter I don't recall ever having to patch damage from efflorescence but when painting over it on the interior all I've done is wire brush off what I could and then paint. Once you get it cleaned up, if the remaining plaster or cement is dusty you'd want to apply a bonding agent first.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: