Remove gummy material from bathroom walls

Old 07-28-17, 09:41 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Remove gummy material from bathroom walls

I've been working on removing the tiles on my bathroom wall for a couple days. They were these old ugly plastic tiles. They cover the perimeter of my bathroom. Whatever sorted of adhesive was used to adhere the tiles to the wall didn't come off with the tiles. It's mostly all left on the wall. It's very gummy and putty like and won't scrape off with a scraper. I have no idea how to get this crud off my walls or what tool would help me with this job. I don't want to completely ruin my drywall. In the process of removing the tiles, some nicks and divers were made but nothing I can't patch. Anyhow, somebody please help me figure out how to get this old gummy, tacky tile adhesive off my walls. Thank you so much!!Name:  IMG_0966.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  42.7 KBName:  IMG_0965.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  46.5 KBName:  IMG_0964.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  41.5 KB

Old 07-29-17, 04:09 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,154 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
Go ahead and remove and replace the drywall. In the end it's faster and easier than tediously scraping and sanding to remove the old glue and then repairing your gouges and scratches. With remove and replace it all goes away in 15 minutes.

Old 07-29-17, 05:11 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Not so sure it's drywall! Those plastic tiles were in style back when drywall was first coming on the scene. You might want to experiment using a hair dryer to help soften the mastic and maybe it will scrape off easier.

Old 08-14-17, 04:07 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys. I think the walls may be plaster? I don't know how to tell. Does anyone have a way to distinguish? Sorry if that's a silly question. I haven't done this type of project before. I tried the hair dryer, but man, this stuff is just too tacky. It does NOT want to scrape off.

Old 08-14-17, 04:17 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I remember the plastic tiles, my father had a house built just after WWII that had them ... plaster walls.

I'd scrape, chisel whatever it takes to remove the mastic - then repair the wall as needed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: