Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

Lath and Plaster faux texturing over bad orange peel

Old 09-17-17, 03:35 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

My house is all Lath and Plaster. Some years ago some patches of the ceiling came off and my father - who owned the house at the time - had some guy appear to sheetrock the ceiling and then spray orange peel texture. As you can see from the pictures, the taping points didn't turn out well and you can really see them - they sunk in a bit. Plus I HATE orange peel.

The rest of the rooms in the house have the original ceiling texturing - albeit patched at various times. Looks like Knock-Down.

My question is: If I wanted to try and make the Orange Peel ceiling look like the rest of the ceilings in the house do I need to do any sanding to the ceiling first, or can I just float the ceiling to get a smooth base and then texture from there? The ceiling paint is flat.

Old 09-17-17, 05:21 PM
T
Received 17 Votes on 15 Posts
The ceiling is probably painted with latex. Sanding will be a gummy mess, I would spread over it. It will take a couple of coats then probably some sanding. I would start by using setting joint compound like EasySand, There are other brands, It comes in different set times. Mix what you think you can use in the time it takes it to set, I would suggest 45 minute or 90 minute for you. The first pass can be as wide as the length of your trowel then the next coat wider, As soon as a coat is set you can apply another, When you think the joints and recessed areas are close to flush then skim the whole lid. For this I suggest topping or all purpose ready mix joint compound, They sand more easily, Spread on a tight coat over the whole lid then probably another coat, Lay it down as smoothly as you can to avoid as much sanding, Then sand, look it over again and spot defects then sand then prime and look it over for defects, Fill and needed and sand and prime then you should be ready to paint. If there is existing texture elsewhere in the house you want to emulate send some pictures and we can tell you how to do that,

Old 09-18-17, 02:01 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 424 Votes on 379 Posts
I would add that shining a bright light on the ceiling and viewing it from an angle will help you spot any defects in your finishing. They will also show up in your wet primer, just remember where they are and go back and fix them once the primer dries [don't forget to prime the repairs]

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: