Shower issue: drywall & latex paint

Old 10-16-17, 12:44 PM
Received 388 Upvotes on 337 Posts
Shower issue: drywall & latex paint

Eighteen months ago I had a new shower installed--stripped to the studs, new integrated wall liner and pan, new tile. The existing ceiling was not changed--latex paint on drywall (probably green board from the original installation. After the tile work was done the ceiling was painted again with latex paint. It appears that the joint between the wall and ceiling was not caulked.

Recently the two corners near the shower head have begun to "peel". Upon investigation it appears that joint compound in the corners is powdering and causing the latex paint to begin peeling off. Probably not unusual in a shower environment.

I think if I prime the powdering compound, caulk the joint (all around the shower) and then paint over the caulk, that should keep the moisture away from the compound and prevent this from occurring again.

Sound like the right plan?.

The images are really close up. The tile is 3X6 subway tile.

Name:  t1.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  7.5 KB

Name:  t2.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  6.5 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 05-06-19 at 10:48 AM. Reason: resized pictures
Old 10-16-17, 01:05 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
A little hard to tell from the pics - does the tile go all the way to the ceiling? Is the ceiling paint flat latex or latex enamel?
I'd scrape off the loose/bubbly and reevaluate.

Old 10-18-17, 08:57 AM
Received 388 Upvotes on 337 Posts
I thought I replied earlier but I do not see it now.

The tile goes all the way to the ceiling. The paint is semi-gloss latex enamel. The joint between the tile and the ceiling is not caulked.

I plan to seal the exposed joint compound (with latex or primer) after scraping it all smooth and then caulk the joint all the way around the shower to prevent moisture from getting behind the latex..

The pictures are really close up. The exposed joint compound is less than 1/4 inch wide and the longest length is less than 1.5 inches.

Last edited by 2john02458; 10-18-17 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Additional information
Old 10-18-17, 09:28 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Depending on what it looks like once you scrape you might need to add a little joint compound or spackling, other than that - sounds like a plan

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: