Patching gypsum board lath and plaster

Old 04-07-18, 10:18 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Patching gypsum board lath and plaster

I bought a home with several large manufactured holes I am looking to patch (I believe they were used to mount a surround sound system). After some research, it looks like i'm dealing with a perforated gypsum board lath and plaster finish. I've seen several diy videos on patching plaster but these all work under the assumption I'm working with a wood lath. I'm curious what the correct technique is to patch larger holes in plaster with a missing lath. Any help is appreciated. Thx!

2" diameter
3/8" lath
3/8" finish

https://inspectapedia.com/interiors/...gs.php#GypLath

Attached Images   
Old 04-07-18, 10:24 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I'd insert a piece of wood longer than the hole and screw it to the wall on each end. Then you can take a round piece of drywall and screw it to that board before finishing. Another option would be to cut a piece of drywall 2-3" bigger than the hole and then remove the excess drywall from the back side [leaving the paper face] you'd then mud around the hole, press the patch into the wet mud.

Old 04-07-18, 12:02 PM
T
Received 48 Upvotes on 41 Posts
marksr is correct. USE A 1x2 as long as you can get through the hole. Tie a string or wire to it in the middle to keep it tight to the bqck of the lath when you screw it in. Remove the tie once the stick is crewed on. The piece of drywall you screw to that stick does not have to fit perfectly. There will be some fill, even it you use 5/8 drywall. Were I doing this I would not lap the drywall mud over the existing. I would keep it flush. You can buy small boxes of setting joint compound at some of the stores. A 5# box is plenty for what you are doing. Bond it to the filler piece and the edges of the hole. let it set, fill more if needed until it is flush. Match the texture and prime and paint.

Old 04-09-18, 07:41 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Awesome, thanks for the feedback everyone, I'll be putting it to use this week

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: