Ceiling/wall texture peeling off

Old 05-22-18, 02:10 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceiling/wall texture peeling off

I have a very old house that we are rehabbing. Lots of cracks in the walls, etc. A couple of years ago, I put texture on the walls to hide some of these imperfections. The house was then left vacant for 2 years, and during that time, the entire room's walls/ceiling texture started to "flake" off. I'm sure there's an actual term for it, but this is my best description. Some of the texture fell off the walls and ceilings entirely and some of it remained on, but hanging off the wall. Now, I am going to fix the problem because I want to sell the house. I thought it was maybe because of how I textured over wallpaper but a contractor said the primary reason it happened was because of the type of joint compound I used. Is that true? And what is my best option here going forward? To scrape off the dangling compound, prime and then shoot texture on the walls and ceiling? Can I skip the prime stage(I have A LOT of work to do independent of this and limited funds to do it with)? What is the best kind of compound for this task, to load into my sprayer?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-18, 02:38 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 323 Votes on 287 Posts
The all purpose mud [green lid] has more adhesive properties than the light weight muds. Which j/c did you use? If the house was left vacant without the HVAC running that can also play a part in the texture failures. Was the texture painted?

Hard to say without more info if primer is needed prior to texturing but primer is always needed after texturing.

Old 05-22-18, 03:07 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I can't remember if it was the blue or the green lid. Which one would you recommend for the job going forward? The texture had not yet been painted or primed, no. It looked fine at the time surprisingly, it looked like it was already painted white.

Old 05-22-18, 03:28 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 323 Votes on 287 Posts
Blue lid is lightweight mud and not the best for texture, green lid is best for texture. The texture not having been painted was a big determent! Unpainted j/c will absorb moisture from the air and deteriorate over time.