Mudding Estimates

Old 06-05-18, 05:34 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Mudding Estimates

I'm looking to get a few estimates for my basement finishing project and was curious what people think is a reasonable cost and how you think the estimates are generally priced.

This is mudding and finishing the walls only, as the I have already hung the drywall.

I think I did a decent job hanging the drywall overall, but know I'm not a pro and have a occasional bad cut or seam, doing the best I could. And I could only get 8 ft boards down the stairs so have few more butt seams than I would have preferred.

The room is essentially an L shape pattern of ~ 24 x12 and 12 x 12 with 7 foot ceilings. I've estimated total Wall and Ceiling square footage is about 1,200 SF.

I live in Buffalo NY, so not the highest cost of living here, but not the cheapest either.

For my first quote so far was told that with Summer here, demand is high and estimate would be $2,500. But if I want to wait for fall/winter when demand slows he could do it for $1,700.

So just trying to get an idea as what seems fair/reasonable and what seems to much. I plan to get 2 more quotes still and can definitely wait till fall time to save some money.

Thanks

Old 06-05-18, 08:16 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
You'll just have to get quotes. Labor rates for work like that are highly variable. Right now in my area you could get quotes to mud a whole house but most will not even return your call for just a few rooms and many won't return a call if they find out the rock has been hung by an amateur.

Old 06-05-18, 09:22 AM
M
Received 27 Upvotes on 21 Posts
Sounds high to me, but I agree labor rates for that type of work are all over the place. I just got an estimate yesterday to drywall and finish (meaning mud and sand) an 80 sq ft mudroom (walls and vaulted ceiling) and a 350 sq ft garage with 14' vaulted ceiling, and the price was $2,100, which included all materials. It's worth getting a few more estimates, or even learning to do it yourself. Mudding isn't so bad once you get the hang of it. On the other hand, completely worth paying a "professional" to do it IMO as it can be a very messy and frustrating job for a novice.

Old 06-05-18, 09:30 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
There are big differences in pricing in different locales. It's all about how many workers versus how many jobs. Small jobs are always difficult to get bids on when everyone is busy. In busy times it's often the smaller or less qualified contractors that will bid these jobs. It's always a good idea to check references!! 3 or more bids will give you a good idea of what you should expect to pay.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: