Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

Repairing drywall after built-in shelving removed

Old 08-03-18, 08:14 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Removed shelving from a built-in section of our living room. We intend to use the space to put a TV.

Pictures are below. Any advice on preparation, repair, and finishing - including process and tools involved?

Thank you all!

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-18, 08:57 AM
Group Moderator
Received 717 Votes on 663 Posts
Remove your outlet cover. Peel off any loose paper. Prime the bare paper and bare gypsum with an oil primer. Then let that dry thoroughly. Then get a bucket of joint compound, any kind. Use a 6" knife, and lay on a thin, smooth layer that is about 1/16" thick. If you can see through it its too thin... but you also dont want it too thick.

It might help if you did the horizontals... let them dry... Then come back later and do any verticals.

once you have one coat on, you can lightly sand and dust it... Then skim the edges of everything you just did. This coat will feather out on each side of the previous coat.

Once that is dry you can sand and dust it, then take a bright light and shine on the wall to look for imperfections. Give any spots that need it a final skim coat. Then sand, dust, prime, and paint.

All your sanding should be done with a flat pad block sander or at a minimum, a fine sanding sponge.

Old 08-03-18, 09:19 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
If you don't want to use an oil base primer over the damaged areas you can use Zinnser's Gardz [it's waterbased] Those are the only 2 primers that are recommended over torn drywall paper, regular latex primer can cause more peeling. The moisture in j/c can also cause peeling if those areas aren't sealed with primer first.

Old 08-03-18, 01:37 PM
Received 395 Votes on 369 Posts
Peel off any loose paper.

I would suggest using a box knife with a new sharp blade, cut off anything that is sticking up, a sharp corner, or a paper tear.

You want to get all those "bad" features cut away and below the level when new mud is applied!

Old 08-04-18, 09:48 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you all for the responses! One additional question - if I have to patch a small hole, should I prime before or after I patch?

Thanks again.

Old 08-04-18, 10:10 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The repair always needs priming, you only need to primer before patching if there is torn paper or exposed gypsum.

Old 08-04-18, 12:00 PM
Received 395 Votes on 369 Posts
you only need to primer before patching if there is torn paper or exposed gypsum.

Prime before? I never heard that before!

As long as it's trimmed back and solid I just mud it!

Old 08-04-18, 12:07 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
When the paper gets torn, the moisture in j/c and/or latex primer can cause the paper to lift more. Priming it with gardz seals it so no more damage will occur.