Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

Removing ceiling drywall that was spray foamed

Old 10-04-18, 08:32 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I had my attic spray foamed several years back. They removed the 6 mil vapour barrier and sprayed the entire attic floor/2nd floor ceiling. Pretty sure the drywall is now stuck to the foam, so has anyone come across removal of drywall under this circumstance? Tips, tricks and look-outs appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-18, 09:26 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 638 Votes on 588 Posts
The foam is possibly stuck to the sheetrock. If there was a good layer of dust or dirt on the sheetrock it might come off cleanly but otherwise it's probably stuck pretty well. When you try to remove the sheetrock you'll likely end up pulling the paper backing away. Try to work carefully and in small sections so you can separate the sheetrock from the foam without pulling down the foam. If you can get one area opened up you can then stick/work a long thin piece of metal between the two to sorta cut the sheetrock free.

Old 10-04-18, 10:18 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Can I ask, why are you removing the drywall?
Saving that insulation above will be difficult and it probably cost a lot more to replace than a fancy plaster job to resurface a drywall issue?

Just my opinion.

Bud

Old 10-04-18, 12:49 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 323 Votes on 287 Posts
You could even double laminate the ceiling with drywall. I think there would have to be a pretty good reason to convince me to remove the old drywall that has been spray foamed.

Old 10-04-18, 02:47 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The reason I wanted some info on drywall removal with spray foam on the back is a job I was thinking of doing in a bath reno to remove the soffit over the tub. Some of you gave good advise over at that post and kind of convinced me that I shouldn't remove the soffit as it seems to be part of the attic. Correct that I would have to cut out spray foam to raise space and I'm not doing that.