Stucco repair below gable

Old 10-10-18, 04:53 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stucco repair below gable

Can anyone give me some tips on the best way to repair this stucco? Thanks.
Name:  IMG_20181009_182607776.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  97.1 KB

Old 10-11-18, 05:26 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 357 Votes on 314 Posts
Welcome to the forums!
I'm not a mason/plasterer but have made minor stucco repairs to facilitate paint jobs. I'd chip out the loose and mix up some mortar to replace it with. The most difficult part will be replicating the texture. Cut a piece of cardboard to place under the wall [over the shingles] to catch the wet mortar you will drop.

Old 10-12-18, 06:09 AM
R
Thanks for your reply. The tip about the cardboard is a very good idea. I don't think I will attempt the repair. Not the patch itself, that would be not to much of an issue. But I don't think I could ever match the texture. That's the only drawback of stucco. This is on a part of the house that is a prominent place in the front. Botching the texture would look terrible.

Old 10-12-18, 06:26 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I assume it's on the second floor which should limit most the repaired area's view. You should be able to tell why the mud is still wet how well the texture will blend. It shouldn't need to be perfect - just close. If it doesn't look right scrape the wet mud down and try again. You could practice your technique on some cardboard.

Old 10-14-18, 10:17 AM
R
Hmm, it is a single story house and this is above the garage. I could probably also use elastomeric stucco patch that has texture in it. It might be easier and maybe more durable. Stucco texture is magic to me. I have no idea how the pros get such perfect texture over the entirety. I guess is takes years of practice, and I kinda think that no stucco pro will apply it exactly the same as any other.

Old 10-14-18, 10:35 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I would assume that damage is hard to spot from the ground so it stands to reason a less than perfect repair job would also be hard to spot.

Old 10-20-18, 07:13 AM
R
It's a single story house so, while it may not immediately draw the eye, it is probably the most prominent aesthetic area of the whole house. I need to get it fixed soon since the metal flashing is becoming deformed I presume is from the expansion of the stucco due to the cracks.

Old 10-20-18, 07:31 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Is it easy to see the bottom of the stucco from the ground? I'd think the roof in front of it would hide most of the gable bottom edge from view when you are standing on the ground.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: