Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

How did they get that texture on the ceiling?

Old 12-02-18, 03:20 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I have a house that was build in NC back in 2000. I have lived here for a little over a year. At some point in the past something leaked from the main floor to the ceiling in the basement bathroom. There isn't any leak now and it is all dry but I would like to repair the stain and small damage to the drywall finish on the ceiling where it leaked.

My question is this. If I post a picture of what the texture of the ceiling looks like. I would like to see if anyone know what I would use to match the texture as close as possible. I am guessing something like a mop head or something. Only a guess.

Hopefully these pics will help if not I can try to take another.

Thanks

Attached Images   
Old 12-02-18, 03:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 779 Votes on 718 Posts
Generally that is called a stomp texture. Hard to tell the exact brush from the limited amount of pictures... there are often a few spots on the ceiling that will be a little more obvious than others what was used... but a double crows foot brush would do a pretty good job.

You thin the texture so that it's like thick pancake batter, roll it on with a roller, then stomp it, turning the brush handle a little bit each time you move and stomp so that you produce a random pattern.

Old 12-02-18, 05:20 PM
T
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
What he said. Maybe get some scraps of drywall somewhere to experiment on. There are al kinds of things to stomp with. A sponge, piece of carpet wadded up newspaper or plastic.

Old 12-03-18, 03:34 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 360 Votes on 317 Posts
How big of an area was damaged?
The water stain will need a solvent based primer to prevent it from bleeding thru latex paint.

Old 12-03-18, 05:05 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Area is about 1 1/2 sqft.

Can this type texture ceiling be painted with a roller without it coming off like the popcorn stuff does?

Thanks for the good info.

Old 12-03-18, 05:30 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 360 Votes on 317 Posts
While it is somewhat water soluble it's nothing like popcorn and normally paints well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: