What do I use to fill these holes?

Old 12-09-18, 08:14 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question What do I use to fill these holes?

I want to remove these screws and fill with filler so I can drill again and put up the new towel rack. This work was probably done around 1966 when the house was built. What's your best guess on what kind of material this is and what I should use to fill it?

Attached Images  
Old 12-09-18, 08:38 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Looks like a bathroom. If the new towel rack won't be close to the existing holes then I would just spakle over them. Otherwise remove them and patch the with wallboard.

Old 12-09-18, 08:52 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I was thinking of some kind of filler that would harden over time. Is there something like that I can fill with, let dry a few days, then drill at or near those areas? Is spakle it or is there something else?

Old 12-09-18, 08:53 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
When repairing those types of holes I normally push the plastic into the wall with either the heel of my knife or a slight tap with a hammer. That allows the spackle or joint compound to be applied flush with the rest of the wall. It will need a little texture prior to primer and paint.

It's best not to drill holes or screws in the exact same place as the repair, that area will never be as strong as it once was.

Old 12-09-18, 08:54 AM
Received 388 Upvotes on 337 Posts
They are wall anchors. You should be able to pull the red one out with a pair of pliers. If the others are plastic you may be able to screw them out (counterclockwise.) If they are metal pulling them out will cause a bigger hole. Punch them in instead. Then you will have small holes to fill with sparkle or joint compound. If you just sparkle without removing them they will show as bumps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: