Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

Did a poor job of patching a hole in drywall

Old 12-09-18, 04:06 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Let me start by saying this is my first attempt at doing any sort of work like this. Attempted to repair a hole in my drywall using a repair kit. I put on one layer of spackling, let it dry, sanded it, then put a couple layers of paint on. Not really happy with how it turned out, I feel like I didn't use enough spackling. So where can I go from here? Can I put more spackling over it even though I've already painted? Do I need to remove the paint first? How would I do that without damaging the repair mesh?

I used a Dap DryDex patch kit. Any advice would be helpful, thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-18, 05:27 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 112 Votes on 104 Posts
You can definitely add spackle over the paint. Sanding becomes a bit harder since the paint won't sand as easily as the dried spackle.

In the future, it usually takes 2-3 layers of spackle and sanding to get a nice clean finish.

Old 12-10-18, 02:28 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 318 Votes on 282 Posts
As noted above there are no issues with patching over paint although a scuff sand first is always a good idea. If you post a pic of your repair we might have more advice - https://www.doityourself.com/forum/e...-pictures.html

btw - welcome to the forums!