Plaster walls, 😫

Old 03-31-19, 09:08 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Plaster walls, 😫

Hi everyone, I have an old home with the worst walls in they world, plaster. I hate them, I cant hang anything up unless I use these itty bitty short nails so I've live here for three years and only have small pics hanging on my walls. Well, I'm done with all of this and it's time to fix her up and do things rights. HELP! These walls have lumps and waves, as I call them, throughout the entire house. Painting them wont mask it and I hate wallpaper. Do I just have to live with it? My only other option would be to gut my house and then drywall, correct? Even the ceilings have lumps and waves. And how do you get those big hooks into the plaster to hang big things, my plaster breaks and falls apart. Thank you everyone, I have a long road ahead of me.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-19, 10:32 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 333 Votes on 296 Posts
Plaster walls are generally considered superior to drywall. You should be able to use mud and make them smooth, maybe scrape/sand the high spots and fill the low. Heavy pictures should never be hung directly to plaster or drywall, it's best to use a nail/screw long enough to hit a stud. With plaster it helps to predrill first.

One benefit to removing the plaster and hanging drywall is it gives you the opportunity to alter electrical and add insulation.

Old 03-31-19, 05:58 PM
Q
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
You don't hang in the plaster, of course it will crack! You shouldn't even with drywall but people get away with it easier.
find a stud and nail into that. Second option, screw into the lathe behind but beware it's not for heavy items.
Those waves you see are lathe that has moved a bit over time and with it the plaster, there are ways to move it back into place I believe - check YouTube. Can you post a pic?
also, try monkey hooks