Fiberglass plaster compound.

Old 07-03-19, 04:57 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fiberglass plaster compound.

What is the US available (homedepot/lowes) equivalent of this fibreglass reinforced plaster compound?

https://www.usg.com/content/usgcom/e...rete-fill.html

I did a search on both home center sites and the closest thing I found was some overpriced pre-mixed 3M product that only came in 32oz containers.

Old 07-03-19, 02:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 329 Votes on 283 Posts
The first thing that comes to mind is Structo-Lite. (Also a USG product) It might help to tell us what you are trying to do.

Old 07-03-19, 03:05 PM
L
I had to take out about a 3 by 4 foot area of plaster from the kitchen because it had come loose from the wall so I am just going to replace it with a patch of drywall and I need a compound to transition the seams between that and the old plaster that won't shrink or crack down the line.

Plaster of Paris is a pain for me to work with since it sets so quickly and regular drywall mud is probably insufficient as anything but a top coat to finish the project

Old 07-03-19, 11:03 PM
T
Received 16 Votes on 14 Posts
How much thickness do you have to fill?
If it less than 1/4" you need something that gets hard like Imperial Base by USG or something like it. If it is 1/2" or more then StructoLite is good, though it does not get quite hard enough to suit me and I add some Imperial base to it to hurry it up a bit and harden it. StructoLite is slow setting. Sometimes it dries out and shrinks before it sets.
Drywall is not a good base for plaster. you will get along better if you apply a bonding agent like Plaster Weld or WeldCrete by Larsens Products. There are other brands. Tell us more and maybe put up a picture.
Dissimilar materials that meet tent to crack. You might be advised to get your patch close to level with the surrounding then tape the joint.

Old 07-04-19, 03:58 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Since I don't really have any plaster experience what I've always done is insert drywall just shy of the surrounding plaster finish and then use Durabond to make the repair level with the plaster. I assume this works well as I've never gotten any callbacks.

Old 07-04-19, 08:41 PM
T
narksr
do you tape the joints?

Old 07-05-19, 03:21 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
It depends but not normally. It's my understanding that a setting compound repair on plaster usually doesn't need tape. A lot depends on how tight the drywall fills the hole. ..... but it's not like I do a lot of plaster repairs.

Old 07-05-19, 02:24 PM
L
Thickness is not the issue. The drywall is close enough to level with the wall that small variations it will not be notable.

The hole is irregular so even if I shape the drywall patch to fit it the best as possible there will be some gap in places so the compound I choose will have to fill in that space which is why shrinking is a concern.

I do have fiberglass tape and PlasterWeld on hand but my overriding concern is still choosing the correct compound.

Old 07-05-19, 09:04 PM
T
If the new and existing are close to the level, it sounds like your best guess is a setting joint compound like EasySand by USG. There are other brands. If there is some gap between the new and the old fill the gaps. I still think you should tape the joints after you prefill the gaps. If you had approximately equal thickness of new and old plaster then you could use bonding agent on the edges and probably not have a crack. Since your main thicknesses are two different material I think tape is just good insurance
I don't like fiberglass mesh tape. I prefer a fiberglass scrim tape, FibaFuse, if you can find it.

Old 07-06-19, 04:57 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The hole is irregular so even if I shape the drywall patch to fit it the best as possible there will be some gap in places
When feasible I like to 'square up' the hole first, makes cutting the drywall patch much easier.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: