Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

Patching damaged drywall in ceiling corner without damaging crown molding

Old 08-02-19, 01:35 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I have some damage in the drywall in a corner of my kitchen ceiling and I need to cut it out and replace it with a new piece. However there are crown moldings involved that are quite old and little brittle, and could possibly break if I try to pull them down. Is there a safe way to cut out a portion of them using something like a saw and re-install them later (likely caulking the spaces that will result from the cut)?

Old 08-02-19, 04:55 PM
Received 952 Votes on 864 Posts
Not sure anybody can make any kind of recommendation based on the description provided.

How about some pictures?

Old 08-03-19, 04:12 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 680 Votes on 601 Posts
Sounds like you want an oscillating multi tool.
pics would be nice - How to insert pictures.

Old 08-03-19, 12:47 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sorry guys. I was posting and didn't have my phone nearby with pics, but it sounds like I could use an oscillating tool to separate the molding sections as needed and then reattach them later.

Old 08-03-19, 02:23 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,571 Votes on 1,412 Posts
I would cut out and remove the damaged sheetrock and leave the crown molding in place. Old, brittle crown molding will be difficult and possibly expensive to replace or repair but sheetrock is cheap and easy so if your first patch doesn't come out OK you can just do another.

Old 08-04-19, 05:31 PM
T
Received 34 Votes on 28 Posts
A photo would help but can you cut the hole and then pull enough of the rock that is above the molding that you can just cut the new piece to fit on three sides and then just slip it above and behind the molding? It would only have to go about 1/4" but more would be a little better.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: