Black mold in corner of ceiling

Old 10-15-19, 01:37 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Black mold in corner of ceiling

The corner of our dining room has developed some black mold over the last 6 months. The cause of mold has been identified as there was a few cracks that needed to be filled with insulation and now I am looking at repairing the portion of the ceiling. I am a total newb when it comes to this type of work but can usually pick things up fairly quick. Can anyone provide guidance on how to go about this?

First of all, is the ceiling plaster or drywall? Having a hard time identifying.. I've included a pick of a wall outlet to maybe identify? See pics below of the mold spot in the corner. The size of the potion that would need to be cut out is 24" x 15".

Name:  m1.JPG
Views: 3029
Size:  64.0 KB

Name:  m2.JPG
Views: 469
Size:  75.0 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 10-15-19 at 03:26 PM. Reason: reoriented/resized pictures
Old 10-15-19, 02:06 PM
M
Received 293 Upvotes on 263 Posts
Looks like plaster to me.

Might be a job best left to a pro.

Many old plaster jobs has asbestos in them so I would not mess with it.

Did not see the second picture/post. the walls look like drywall ( I think) but there is no guarantee that the ceiling is also drywall

Old 10-15-19, 02:12 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
Can you post the pic of the outlet with the cover off?
Hard to say whether or not it's plaster or drywall that has a skim coat of joint compound. How old is the house?
Personally I wouldn't be afraid to tackle the job. Even if there is asbestos - it's only dangerous in dry powder form. You do need to scrape off all the mold and seal any water stains. While j/c is fine for drywall - I'd use Durabond if it's plaster.

Just saw your other post which included the outlet pic - looks like drywall to me.

btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 10-15-19, 02:36 PM
M
Received 293 Upvotes on 263 Posts
marksr
It looked to me that the skim coat has come loose from the backer so doesn't he have to scrape that off till he gets back to where it is still bonded, check the backer what ever it is and then re-skim.
Could end up being a fairly large area.

Old 10-15-19, 02:46 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
Yes, all the loose needs to be removed and contained. Once that is done you'd re evaluate to decide on the next step.

Old 10-15-19, 03:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
That looks like more than loose insulation. That looks like a roof leak.

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 10-15-19, 04:04 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
PJ is the only one to nail the actual problem. Fix the roof leak first and then determine how to fix the moldy plaster/wallboard. And by the amount of mold on the surface I'm betting a lot more is contained in the roof crawl space or in other areas.
If after the roof is fixed and if you can't clean all the mold that might be in the crawl space try using fans to provide ventilation to help dry it out. Use DampRid if you can't use a fan or clean the rafters.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: